Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jean_c

jean_c

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

my parents laptop stopped working yesterday morning.they have a dell with windows xp service pack 2 in it (they work of my LAN network if it matters any)..you cant do or open anything. so i shut it off and tried to open it in safe mode which it will do and you can get stuff like the control panel to start to open and then it pops up DR watson debugging has encountered a problem and needs to close and it will continue to do this with various names,, so i cant open anything at all or run any tests.. i want to re install windows in it with the operating system disk but my husband says we need a recovery disk (the computer didnt come with one) all we got was a bunch of nonsense disks and the operating disk and drivers and utilities.. any advice on what to do.. any help or advice is welcome

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:13 AM

Have you tried doing a last good configuration?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:29 AM

For a Dell, you load the Operating System disk in order to restore it. The other disks contain the drivers and programs needed to restore you computer to fresh out of the factory condition. You don't have to install the programs, but the drivers are a must for your system to function correctly.

You are also able to do a repair install of Windows with the OS disk. This will leave the data and programs intact while replacing the operating system files. You can use these instructions for that: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jean_c

jean_c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:38 AM

to dc3, yeah that was one of the things i tried when i opened it to safe mode as it gives an option from the safemode page and it wouldnt do anything at all....

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

You can purchase an OS install or reinstall disc from Dell rather cheaply. ($10-$15) Go to dell.com and try to "chat online with Technical Support". They should be able to tell you how to get a disc.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...=dhs&~tab=1

Make sure you have the Service Tag number at your fingertips. It is located on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users