Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Question On How Websites Ban People

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jean_c

jean_c

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

in may my daughter and her friend (also our neighbor) both signed up for a website rpg.well come june my daughter was banned for cheating( they mean hacking or multi- accounting as cheating) which she did neither but thats besides the point.. well after a few days i found out that my community runs on the same external ip address (when checked with an online checker) but when i check from ipconfig the ip's are all different..so my daughter tried rejoining (after getting a letter from them saying she could) and then 3 hours letter it came back denied (made no sense to me and we deleted all cookies before trying).. know normally when this group bans for multi accoutning they disable all the accounts..we just noticed now that her friends account is still active and she can log in from our computer..so know i dont think it was the ip they banned.. i was just wondering how else they ban, wether they can ban the ip you get when you do ipconfig or the one you get from and online checker, or what else they can ban you with (besides log in info and email)..we live in a 271 townhome community that use a LAN set up instead of broadband and we connect our modem through a linksy voip router from vonage for our phone(if any of that makes a difference).. i need easy terms i can understand (have asked around before but everyone gives me terms and statements i cant understand..iam not looking for a way to bypass the ban and cheat i was just wondering how the whole banning thing works

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:58 PM

Hi jean_c,

Have a look at the topic How can on-line forum members realize it's me using two different accounts.
It's from the same site where you posted a similar question.

Perhaps you should contact the Administrators of the forum involved.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 jean_c

jean_c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:50 AM

i had read that particular topic and it still left me with unanswerred questions..i have talked to others in my community who have had the same issues with being banned from other forums because someone else in our community was on the same forum. so it makes me curious on how it all works...as for the website my daughter was banned from we emailed so many times but never got any replies back except for one telling her she could join just for them to cancell it that night..

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:12 PM

Because some forums use different software and techniques to have your IP information available to the Administrators, That forum is the only one with the answer.

We do not discuss subject matter where the purpose is to defeat existing security measures.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 jean_c

jean_c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:17 PM