Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New To Linux (ubuntu7.04)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

How would I go about setting up this computer to be a small time server? (Just to play around with really)

And what about antivirus & the like, how is it with linux?

How does the general scheme of folder/file paths work? (Ex Windows is like: "DRIVE:\folder\folder\folder\file.extension")

Also, is there a way I can change the resolution, like in Windows?

If I have any more questions I will be sure to ask.

Edited by thisismydisplayname, 02 August 2007 - 03:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:06 PM

As for the server, I have no diea.

Linux is a beautiful thing when it comes to antivirus. You see, VERY few viruses exist for Linux, since most users use Windows. Windows viruses, afaik, are not compatible with Linux.
HOWEVER, you should get a Linux firewall. For Firestarter Linux firewall, go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager, and go to Settings -> Repositories. Turn on the Universe repositories. Then, go to the Terminal (Applications -> Accessories), and type:
sudo apt-get install firestarter

Linux has folders like Windows. However, you do not have permissions to most folders. Most of your own personal files will go in the Home\(YOUR USERNAME) directory. All external drives, such as Flash drives, are mounted in the \media folder.

Yes, you may change the resolution. Go to System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution.

Edited by Glunn11, 02 August 2007 - 04:08 PM.

#3 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:39 PM

Ok, thankyou for the help! Thats what I thought for viruses.

I am stuck on the "Turn on the Universe repositories." Step. The window window is titled "Software Sources" and has the follow tabs at the top: -Ubuntu Software | Third-Party Software | Updates | Authentication | Statistics- I clicked on all of them, and seen nothing that said Universe Repositories, and nothing about turning stuff on. I can screenshot any of it if you like/want.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:42 PM

A little info on Linux in general and Ubuntu Feisty in Specific:

Servers are out of my league (try the Ubuntu forums)

Anti-virus isnt really needed in Linux just yet but get one anyway (ClamAV can be found in the repositories for Ubuntu but it is always out of date, so i'd suggest AVG Linux easy to use and always up to date)

A Firewall is recommended as well I would also suggest Firestarter which can be found in the Ubuntu Repositories as well (or use the link given be glunn11).

general scheme of file system hierarchy goes like this:

"\mnt\hda1\home\username\"

\mnt is mount (so you can access the the drive)

\hda1 is your hard drive (hd = hard drive, a= drive letter, 1 is the partition #) a one to remember \sd** (sata or USB drive or camera)

\home the Home directory where all the users are based

\"username" files you create are stored here

program files can be found in the \bin directories (there is one in every users folder)

.... one more thing Linux is CASE sensitive ie: cd /home will get you into the home directory but cd /Home will not

Posted Image

#5 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

Ok, thankyou for the help! Thats what I thought for viruses.

I am stuck on the "Turn on the Universe repositories." Step. The window window is titled "Software Sources" and has the follow tabs at the top: -Ubuntu Software | Third-Party Software | Updates | Authentication | Statistics- I clicked on all of them, and seen nothing that said Universe Repositories, and nothing about turning stuff on. I can screenshot any of it if you like/want.

You are in Software Sources. You need to go to Synaptic Package Manager. I think you clicked on the wrong thing (they're right next to each other on the menu).
And you're welcome! :thumbsup:
Yes, Ubuntuforums.org is a great thing, as Spyder said.

Also, if you want to get a Screen Saver, go to System -> Preferences -> Screen Saver. I personally think Skyrocket is the coolest one I've ever seen. Has a lot of depth.
Also, System -> Preferences -> Desktop Effects has some fun things.

Finally, for an antivirus (just in case ;), as BlackSpyder suggested), here's how to install AVG Free (courtesy of the wonderful world of ubuntuforums.org)

1. In Ubuntu, go here, and download the one for Debian-based distributions to your Desktop folder (/home/(YOURUSERNAME)/desktop). Depackage it.
2. Go to the terminal and type this:

sudo rm -r /usr/share/applications/avggui.desktop

3. Then, type this:
sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/avg.desktop

4. In that file, add this entry:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=AVG Antivirus
Comment=Antivirus
Exec=gksudo avggui &
Icon=/opt/grisoft/avggui/prog/pixmaps/avgico_big.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;System;

5. Save and exit.

Tada. Enjoy Ubuntu!

Edited by Glunn11, 02 August 2007 - 06:44 PM.

#6 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

You might want to get chkrootkit, rootkits are more of a problem than viruses in Linux. Here's the link: www.chkrootkit.org

Or if that is too slow/doesn't work, heres the link I got it from: http://fresh.t-systems-sfr.com/linux/src/c...it-0.47.tar.gz/

Then go to the directory you installed chkrootkit in, use the command line to cd into the directory, and type ./chkrootkit It will then run chkrootkit to check.

EDIT: In Kubuntu (i dunno if this applies for Ubuntu) there is a program called Adept Manager. If this exists in Ubuntu, you can search for chkrootkit and download it from there, very simple.

Edited by sharpe95, 02 August 2007 - 10:24 PM.

#7 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

I was correctly going into the Synaptic Package Manager. When I would click on repositories it would come up with the software window.

And thanks for all the help. I'm starting to get tired, so I think I'm going to go to sleep, and save the antivirus/firewall/etc. for tomorrow. But until then, what exactly is 'the terminal'? Sounds like a DOS/CMD thing. Will it automatically open when I need it to, or will I have to go to it manually?

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

the terminal...your best friend in linux. Yes it is the command line. It is located in Menu->Accessories. You have to open it up manually and input the commands (either by copy and paste or by manually typing them in, note keyboard shortcuts will not copy and paste in the terminal window use the right click menu to paste to or copy from it)

Posted Image

#9 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:11 PM

Hmm... well, when you go to Settings -> Repositories, there should be checkmark boxes.
One of them is:

"Community-driven software" (Universe)

Or something like that. The Universe is in parantheses.
Sorry - I haven't enabled the repositories and I was going off of what a website said!

#10 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

ah, ok. it's fine

it says "Community-Maintained Open Source Software (universe)" that was auto checked, and so was 4 of the other 5 things. Source doe has a - n the check box..

Thanks for the help, I have AVG installed now. I didn't have much time today to be on the computer, and I'm tired once again. I'll checkout that checkrootkit thing tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

#11 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

how do I know avg is running? I see no readily-viewable evidence that it is.

is there anything equal to windows task manager in linux?

also, after I updated the first round of updates for the system (I believe there was 105 of them, i just updated them all), the very top left margin of my screen is all weird, having vertical lines going up and down on t, inverting the colors where the lines pass through. it's not my monitor acting up, because it doesn't appear until linux is loaded. i deguassed the monitor also, to see if that'd do anything, but it did nothing. it doesn't show up on screenshots. andjust now, i moved the mouse up there and it went away. i'm not sure why, as it doesn't always do that.

#12 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:47 PM

Regarding AVG, to check, go to System -> Administration -> System Monitor. That is the Linux equivalent of the Task Manager. If it's not running, go back up a few posts and make sure you followed the instructions I got from the ubuntuforums site down correctly.

Regarding the video on your monitor, I think it might just be the fact that Linux isn't perfect. I have little glitches that happen (particularly on the loading screen) as well. Compiz (Desktop Effects) tend to do little things like that.

Edited by Glunn11, 05 August 2007 - 05:47 PM.

#13 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:38 PM

it's not showing up in the system monitor. i copied and pasted everything into the terminal, so it should have gotten everything.
how do i fix this?

#14 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

I think you have to start it manually by going to Applications -> System Tools (according to Ubuntuforums.org). Not positive, though.

Edited by Glunn11, 05 August 2007 - 07:42 PM.

#15 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:18 AM

I tried that. It starts up, but when I close it it does. It doesn't seem to have an all time active agent, just the scanning tool itself. It's not in the System Monitor (at least not with anything I could recognize as being AVG) It's interface has almost no controls compared to the windows version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users