Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delayed Write Failed..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Windows XP Professional SP2

I only received the "delayed write failed" error once but it's come at the same time I'm having problems moving any files from my C Drive over to either my external or my storage drive (2nd).

When I try to move files over or use Winrar to rar any files on either drive (storage or external, not my C:) the operation becomes desperately slow. Everything begins to freeze up and it takes about 5-10mins before I can actually cancel. Now I can access the files with no problem and move them FROM both my storage and external drive without any issues. But moving files TO my external or storage is incredibly slow to the point of impossible.

I received the "delayed write failed" error one time while extracting a DVD to my storage drive while I slept, that was yesterday. I read there may be a cache issue and checked my external drive properties in my device manager to see if I had "This setting disables write cacheing.." checkmarked and I do which is supposedly the right thing.

Hopefully I've explained that right, please help! :thumbsup:

----------

Update: It seems to be only my external now and only with transfering files to not pulling files off. I did some reading and I'll try a diagnostic tool if I can find one from Western Digital for their 250GB drive. If I figure out a solution I'll post it here.

Update 2: Tried moving files over from my other machine on my network to the external. NO problems. Now I'm *really* confused. Just to catch up, I can't move files from my internal drives to my external Western Digital without it freezing up. However, I can save files from another machine on my network to that same drive and have no problems. I have disabled the write cache. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll post more info after more tests.

Edited by Gunmeddle, 03 August 2007 - 06:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

Hello,

Could you say roughly how big the files that you are trying to copy? also how old is the external disk?
you could try http://www.roadkil.net/unstopcp.html have you tried copying small files one at a time? for example a text document.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users