Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Spooler Won't Start: Print Drivers Won't Install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dknees

Dknees

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:31 PM

Arrrrrgh! New HP/Compaq Presario V6000 Notebook came loaded with Vista Home Premium. Once desktop opens, the dreaded message appears: "Spooler Subsystem App has stopped working." Tech support at HP/Compaq has not been able to start the Spooler & keep it started. When it is Off, no printer drivers can be downloaded (either from the Net, from a disc or from Vista's library of printer drivers. Bottom line: this computer cannot be hooked up to a printer. Arrrrrgh!

Something that might be a clue: NONE of the Services current Start-Stop; Manual/ Automatic/Disabled, setting can be changed. More accurately, when changes are attempted within Properties the attempt fails, either immediately or within a few seconds. In the case of starting the Printer Spooler, a small window opens saying that Windows is attempting to turn on the service and the bar begins to fill with green...but after a second or two, the bar stops filling and the window closes.

After not being able to solve the problem, HP's idea is to do a Recovery. Which I'd rather not. So, has anyone else encountered this problem and been able to come up with a fix? Arrrrrgh!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

Sounds like an errant setting within Windows itself. Short of changing every setting on the system, a System Restore will probably be the easiest fix available.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:30 PM

This is a tricky problem to troubleshoot from the forum, however, not impossible. I would agree with Usasma and HP/Compaq that the easiest fix is a system restore. If you're a bit more bold however, you could attempt to use PC Doctor (hp's OEM Diag Tool) to determine if you have any failing parts, which is the first thing I would attempt here. With that type of committment I would focus on RAM and the HDD.

Further, you could attempt to start Vista in Safe Mode, and open the services applet as an Admin. From that point attempt re-installing the printer driver and see what takes place. Also A corrupted user profile can sometime be the cause of failing services as well as virii. You may want to may another user profile and compare your efforts to the other profile. Again, make certain to perform your tasks here as an ADMIN. It is imperative that you don't Defragment the drive at this point as any corruption would only get worse.

Those are some recommendations if you plan to keep the current installation.

any questions, let me know.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:53 AM

Just another thought, but have you tried running "services.msc" as an administrator? Go to start and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) - then right click on the services.msc entry that appears at the top of the search box and select "Run as Administrator".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tmparsley

tmparsley

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:29 PM

I'm having this same exact problem, but I'm on Windows XP...

I am also currently working with D-Trojanator with a horrible MALWARE problem that we have been infected with...

that post is right here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/104880/help-major-pop-ups-adoinadservercom/

Do you think these two things are related?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users