Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling ie-spyad

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nurse_shark

nurse_shark

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:59 AM

Hi,

I downloaded ie-spyad tonight thinking it would be a good idea. Within an hour, I found that I was unable to log into some sites of which I'm a member, because of blocked cookies. I attempted to add those sites to my allowed list in several different ways, but it doesn't work because every page has a slightly different address.

So, I decided to uninstall. I did actually read the "Read Me" file associated with this, so I figured I would have no problem. I should say that I shut down my Internet Explorer between each try, then opened up again to see if the problem was solved. I also rebooted once. So, first I tried the "Install batch" file. No. I then went to my Security Settings in Internet Explorer...changed them all back to default. Then I tried to remove each entry from my blocked list. Shut down again...entries still there.

Then, I used the "ie-ads-uninst" file. It assured me that it was uninstalled. Nope. I tried the "Install batch" file again. It assured me it was gone. No again. Then I went to my "regedit" to see if any stars or the like had been placed in the Zone Alarm - Domains entries. Didn't look any different from when I navigated there earlier. Granted, I really know nothing about the Registry. So, after reading some more, I tried to merge the "ie-ads-uninst" into my Registry. Again, I got the confirmation that the file had been sucessfully imported. Opened up IE again, files are still in my blocked list!

Do I sound a little frustrated? :thumbsup:

I really need some help to successfully navigate my Registry to remove everything ie-spyad installed. I know nothing about my Registry, and will likely screw it up without guidance.

I guess I should've learn my lesson. I tried to use some parental controls to keep my 13 year old off sites he shouldn't be on...major problems.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded story. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it. One of the sites I can't get on is eBay...and I'm trying to get my husband a new cell phone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:21 AM

See if this BC tutorial will help you:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/using-ie-spyad-to-enhance-your-privacy/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 nurse_shark

nurse_shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:57 PM

I tried using System Restore from before I installed ie-spyad, but the entries remain in my Registry. Some of the spyad files in my C: drive are missing though. I also tried adding several eBay sites to my trusted list...no luck.

I would really appreciate any help. As I said I'm trying to buy a new cell phone, and being unable to sign in is a major problem!

OOPS! When I started writing this post, there were no replies! I'll try the suggestions and let you know!

Edited by nurse_shark, 30 January 2005 - 11:59 PM.

#4 nurse_shark

nurse_shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:31 AM

Hi,

jgweed: I actually already read the BC tutorial, but thanks. I'm going to back up my personal files and re-install windows. I've got a few other problems in addition to this, so that's going to be my solution. IE-Spy-Ad is great in theory, but it's not practical for me. As I said, I downloaded several parental control definitions for my 13 year old, and that was a disaster as well. There were sign-in popups for every site that didn't have a privacy rating (including search engines). Again, not practical.

Whoever posted the Google registry editors, thank you. I actually chose not to use them...I don't know enough about my registry to chance it.

Thanks so much for the offered help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users