Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Direct X Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lehnerbunch

lehnerbunch

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

A friend asked me to look at her computer, she is trying to install a disney game (Emperor's New Groove) after it's installed and you click on it to play an error message comes up "cannot directdraw", this is an unfamiliar territory for me but this is what I've tried to do so far.
1. updated direct x to latest edition 9
2. uninstalled and reinstalled game
3. ran direct x diagnostics (which states no problem, but does say video card has a generic driver installed)
4. tried to install new driver for card, manufacturer is Matrox but I can't find any other information on the card about it's model, and it looks like you have to be a member to access their downloads.
5. Another site said to uninstall ddraw.dll and reinstall direct x, but when I do that direct x doesn't reinstall the ddraw.dll files, then I couldn't find anywhere that I could just download the ddraw files so I had to use system restore to get those files back.
Another site said if the version of direct x and the version of ddraw.dll is not the same it won't run, which looks like it maybe the case. But I don't know how to fix that.
Has anyone ever had this problem? Does anyone know of a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

open "device manager" and look for the video card to see what the card is and then download the latest drivers from ATi or nVidea (depending on who the manufacturer is). if that doesnt fix the issue download and install directX 9 from Microsofts webpage

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users