Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Received Email From Friend

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:03 AM

Hi, I am not sure if this is where I should post?
I received an email from a friend which contained an attachment and when I click on it to open it, I get the following error:

"The file does not have a program associated with it for performing the action. Create an association in the folder options CP.""

I don't understand the message nor do I know where the folder options CP is nor do I know what "program" I should be creating to read the attachment". It is simply a pic with some prose.

I would appreciate comments, thankyou.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:21 AM

It's telling you that it doesn't know which program, to open the attachment, with.
What is the file type, of the attachment (doc, txt, jpg, etc.)?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:32 PM

I don't know what this is".pps"????

It is a prose verse of some kind.
Thankyou. (that is all that is written after the name of the attachment)

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:40 PM

.pps is a MS PowerPoint Presentation format. If you do not have MS PowerPoint you get that error. However there is a viewer you can download to solve that problem. It is a viewer only, you cannot create PowerPoint presentations, with it.

PowerPoint Viewer 2003

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:42 PM

That's a Power Point Slideshow.
If you don't have PowerPoint, XnView will open them.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:16 PM

Thx for the replies, so if I d/l the last app then I should be able to read the prose???
This is the only computer that I don't have "outlook" and"office 2003" on....I am still working with those versions at the suggestion of the office.
I am not computer fluent and simply want to insure that this app won't conflict.
I do have the Microsoft Works on this notebook, as it was the cheapest way 4 and a half years ago for me to get Office.

I really do appreciate your comments.
Thankyou for your time.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

You're quite welcome, georgia.

The program Animal recommended, would probably be better suited to your needs.
It's a smaller download, geared specifically for PowerPoint files.
XnView is an image editing program, that will read .pps files.
So, if you only need to read .pps files, and don't need an image editing program, Animal's suggestion would be the way to go.

#8 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:51 PM

Hi, I did the d/l from Animal as suggested and it is on the notebook, however it said to begin with "Start" which I did and co mmitted to the licence and then after that it asked for the File name and of course it is in OE and not on my Desktop; as the first item that it suggested looking into was "my documents".
I scrolled through it and of course there was nothing there and then I went to my "C" drive, but to no avail again??

Is there no way that this app will simply open the attachment without me having to write down the file name and go back to programs and type it in??
I haven't even tried that yet.

I am simply looking for user experience here and would very much appreciate comments, thankyou for your time and interest.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

You can associate .pps files with that program:

Double click My Computer.
At the top, click Tools.
Select Folder Options.
Click the File Types tab.
Scroll down to the file type you want to open to a default program.
Click on it, to highlight it.
Click the Change button, which will open a new window.

If the program you want to use is an option:
Select it.
Then put a check in the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file box (if this is selected, all of these file types will open in the selected program).
Click OK.
Click Apply.
Click OK.

If the program you want to use is not one of the options:
At the bottom, click the Browse... button.
Navigate to the program you want to open this file, located at C:\Program Files\selected program.
Highlight it (single click), and click the Open button.
Double click the executable (.exe) for the program.
Then put a check in the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file box (if this is selected, all of these file types will open in the selected program).
Click OK.
Click Apply.
Click OK.

Or, you can go to the program, you want to handle a particular file type, and set which file types the program should handle.
This can usually be found in the programs Options menu.

Whatever you set, under Folder Options / File Types, will be the default.
In other words, when you double click it, that's the program it opens in.
It doesn't mean that's the only program you can open the file in.
Just set the files to the program you want to use a default.
If you need to open them in a program that's not set as default, open the program, click File / Open, and navigate to the file you want to open.
or,
You can right click the file, select Open With, and choose a program to open it with, from there.

#10 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hi, the pest me again. I did all of the first steps and located the .pps and indicated what I wanted to open it with.
BTW it was associated first with a photo slide view before I made the change.

Then I went to open the prose which was in the attachment of my friend's and it still won't let me???

I must have done something incorrect???
Thankyou for your time and interest.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:04 PM

Are the slide show and the prose two separate file types? Thats what it appears to be to me. If that is the case you won't be able to see the prose using the PowerPoint viewer. You will need to assoctae the prose with the proper application to view that. Or have it resent as a complete .pps file.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:00 AM

Hi not quite sure, I just went and double checked the steps to insure the ".pps" file was set to "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and it was.
The first window showed the file type as ".pps"

When I performed the first step which worked fine to change the file it showed that "M$ Power Point Slide Show" was the program that would open the program and then of course I followed the instructions and changed it.

The file is titled: Beginning_Today_(April07(.pps(150Mb); however it will not open????

Is there anything else I can do to get this to function properly.
Thankyou for your interest and your time.
Kind Regards.

#13 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:13 AM

Hi Georgia.
Right click the attachment, select copy, then paste it in the My Documents folder.
Close your mail app.
Launch the PP Viewer and open the file from there.
If it still won't open, rename the file by removing everything past the .pps extension and try opening it again via the PP Viewer.

#14 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

Are you trying to View the Notes or the Outline? You should be able to change the presentation to these other views.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#15 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:27 AM

I am not sure what you mean by the notes or the outline. All I am trying to do is read the attachment of prose that was sent! Sorry for my computer lingo ignorance.
thankyou.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users