Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need A Reply Quickly Please!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 justsometallguy

justsometallguy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

First a bit of background. My girlfriend just moved down to San Diego and her only option for internet was AT&T DSL and their 1.5 mbps package. They say that's the highest bandwidth they can give her (I don't know their reason). Since she works at home, she has to use her Vonage VoIP and the internet at the same time. However, since the VoIP eats up so much of what little bandwidth she has, she needs to find a new solution for a phone. She looked at cell phones and they are all over $100 for unlimited calling except for Boost Mobile and something else which are around $60. I then suggested just upgrading her basic phone line she uses for DSL to their $40 plan with unlimited local and long distance calling.

Now the question:
Is there any reason that she should be concerned with the same problem she was having with the VoIP? Will the phone still eat her bandwidth up even though it's separate? Any help would be great as she has to decided quickly so she can get back to work! Thanks in advance!!

justsometallguy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:14 PM

No. The phone will not mess with the DSL(in most cases). if you look at the end of a phone cable you will find ~6 wires each pair of + and - make 3 seperate circuits back to the phone company. the DSL is on one pair and the phone will be connected on another pair. Making DSL kinda like a extra phone line into the house. This is just a rough idea of how it works the details are lost to me.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users