Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

g-mail still popular?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:30 AM

ok, ok, so i said i was perfectly content with my comcast e-mail service, and didn't need g-mail.

i didn't exactly lie; it's just that we're moving in the next few months, and i'm not sure they'll have cable 'net wherever we end up. so far, in the places we've looked, the answer is a big, fat, NO. so, i think i'd better CMA!!!

if anyone has one of those invites to spare, i'd greatly appreciate it! i thought i'd get a new acct set up before we move, so that i can notify those in my address book, as well as make appropriate changes in places such as this!

thanx muchly!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:22 AM

ok, ok, so i said i was perfectly content with my comcast e-mail service, and didn't need g-mail.

i didn't exactly lie; it's just that we're moving in the next few months, and i'm not sure they'll have cable 'net wherever we end up. so far, in the places we've looked, the answer is a big, fat, NO. so, i think i'd better CMA!!!

if anyone has one of those invites to spare, i'd greatly appreciate it! i thought i'd get a new acct set up before we move, so that i can notify those in my address book, as well as make appropriate changes in places such as this!

thanx muchly!! :flowers:

Send me a PM with your email.. I still have a few invites. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:11 AM

I also have a bunch left....

#4 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:52 AM

Anyone can PM me too--I have 6 invites.
noonytunes

#5 touse

touse

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:19 PM

I've read about g-mail in a few posts now. What exactly is this? What's the difference with e-mail? Is it supposed to be better? Why? And why do you need to be invited to "sign up"? Can somebody explain?

Thank you

touse

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:33 PM

Like everything touse, there are pros & cons.

gmail is google's free email.
Invitation only at this time, sorta beta in it's first years I guess.
I use it.
I like it.
I'll send you an invite, if you email me your address.

1000GB of storage (at a time yahoo offered 10, and has since upped to 250)
Nicely organized, you can access it using a secure site for an extra measure of security.
Has some (few) ads in written words off to the side.

Sparks some controversy because
people are concerned about a search engine company having
access to your emails.

Yahoo search, for instance?

well, all of them have trick language in the EULA re privacy.
Loopholes, kinda.

The others pointed the finger at google's use of legalese
when google first came out.
well, google has modified it in the wake of California State Law.
In anticipation of Homeland Security national
rewrites.
Which, by the way will strip rights, not make 'em better.

It is now essentially the same as all the others.

So, hmmm.
Try it you might like it.
If it's available to you from invite in France.
I think it is.

Edited by phawgg, 30 January 2005 - 05:36 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 touse

touse

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Phawgg. :thumbsup:

I already have five e-mail adddresses, which is more than I need, really. And at first sight this g-mail doesn't seem all that different from a regular e-mail account from, let's say, Hotmail or Yahoo.

Your offer to send me an invitation is kindly appreciated! Can I think about it for a few days while I research this some more? I mean, it would be a shame to waste an invitation should I decided not to sign up after all.

Thanks again.

Touse

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:02 AM

You certainly may, and I'd like to hear of your research findings
from your side of the pond. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#9 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:09 AM

thanx, all! appreciate the kindness, as always!

damgud :thumbsup:

#10 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 06:41 AM

What can I say.. Great big happy family.. Glad we could help.. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#11 touse

touse

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2005 - 01:21 AM

The "research" I did merely consisted of googling and yahoo-ing g-mail. So, basically I didn't uncover anything different than you already told me, Phawgg. As g-mail in this experimental phase is only available in English, the reactions you read on non-english sites - on the whole - are a reflection of the anglo-saxon reactions: on the one hand it is heavily criticized for its purported invasion of privacy, mostly by people who haven't tried it. On the other hand, those who did get a taste of it deem the commercialization of e-mail a fair trade-off for the huge storage capacity and the user-friendly search technology.

I've run into a few reports about problems with pop-up blockers and cookies, and one report about a leak in the g-mail service, which made that any user could search through the g-mail servers of a said company for the last messages sent by any other user. A few hours after this glitch was reported it was patched up. But ironing out the bugs, that exactly is the purpose of beta testing, no?

The aspect that would worry me the most is indeed the loss of privacy. But, all in all, as I'm not set to embark on any criminal activity in the near future and since I know about this in advance, I figure I can live with it. So, yes, I would like to give it a try and take you up on your kind invitation, Phawgg. I'll PM you my e-mail address.

Again a big thank you.

:thumbsup: touse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users