Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Locked Up Overnight, Won't Start At All Now

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ordan1982

ordan1982

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:20 AM

I have a Dell, about 2 years old, I normally leave it on at night, but when I woke up this morning it was locked up completely. When I reboot it asks me if I want to start in safe mode. If I choose safe mode it tries to startup, but just takes me back to that screen in a few seconds. If I choose to start normally it either returns to that screen or I get a blue screen of death.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen............ and so on

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000004, 0x00000001c, 0x00000001, 0x805017EA)

I don't think I can afford to bring it anywhere to get fixed, any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:25 AM

Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

I would suspect that you have a hardware problem.

First thing to try is to test the memory using memtest86. It's a good idea to let memtest run through several passes. Leave it to run overnight.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ordan1982

ordan1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:30 AM

How can I use that without being able to start up the computer?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:34 AM

Go to the site, download the .ISO file from the "Free Download" section and use that to burn a CD. Then, use the CD to boot your computer with.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ordan1982

ordan1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

I haven't had a chance to run that program yet, don't have a CD burner on this computer, but roommate will be home shortly.

I called Dell Tech support and they had me run some diagnostics, but I'm not under warranty so they wouldn't do much more. They had me test System Memory and my Hard Drive. Hard Drive was fine, but system memory failed a data bus stress test. I haven't got a clue what this means, but the tech support guy told me I have a bad ram stick. I have 4 512mb sticks, but don't know which one is bad. I was told to bring it to a computer repair shop to get it fixed.

I am very short on money at the moment really would like to get this fixed fast. Would removing or disabling the bad RAM stick fix it?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

Removing the bad RAM stick should solve your problem (you will just have less RAM). First you need to find out which is the bad one. To do this you should remove each RAM stick one at a time, repeating the system memory test until you identify which is the bad one.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users