Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie6 --vs-- Firefox Download Speeds

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:29 AM

While downloading files of say 3MB or so....In the download window...Which "updates" every second....

Firefox starts and ends in the 87 to 93 Mb/sec as what one might expect...

IE6s sequence goes as such..at each second during the download....156/242/176/167/143/129/122/117/113/111/109/107105/104Mb/sec...and the gradually deminish to 90+/- Mb/sec.

Have NOT put a stopwatch to it OR compared them side-by-side.

Using IE6 instead of IE7 as I "discovered" Firefox when IE7 was being introduced.

Implemented "pipelining" for Firefox from a thread here(can't find it right now). Also tried to use the Add-On "Faster Fox". Tried them individually and together and found "pipelining" by itself, was quicker in loading web pages.

Is IE6 faster in this respect (as opposed to webpage loading) .. or ... is IE6 "fudging" the download speeds...if that is at all possible...???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Internet Explorer is integrated with Windows, so it's already partially loaded.

See this for speeding Firefox up, but it still has to start up cold, where IE is already prewarmed : Increasing Startup Speed
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:32 AM

The "Preloader" Add-On is attractive nonetheless....But....Will I just see its benefit when I am just starting/opening Firefox??

The issue I attempted to describe occurs when you have been surfing with Firefox and then decide to download a file. Would/should it help then also...?

Also, if I'm only getting 768Mb//96bs with my Broadband...is IE "misrepresenting" the download speeds in the initial several seconds...????

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:28 AM

Just a thought...have you emptied the Download History Box in FF? If it's full of a bunch of download lists, that can slow you down or even stop you from getting downloads to work at all.

#5 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:12 PM

Pardon....

I could not locate how to empty the download history....

If it is the download window which appears when a download is in progress......then I must have optioned for it to clear out after every download because that window is empty.

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

That's it. If you have it set to show the download box when beginning a download, there is a Clean Up button at the bottom.

It can also be set to clear download history in options/privacy/settings.

#7 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

Yes indeed..... I do have it set to clear...everything...out when Ff closes...

Good idea though....TY

I still find it improbably that I can get download speeds faster than the service is providing....which would make IEs download indicator inaccurate.

Still debating Increasing Startup Speed ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users