Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop And Other Computer Turn Off At Random Times

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rapidfrog

Rapidfrog

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:16 AM

Occasionally (Maybe every other day or so) my laptop will completely shut off and die. I'm assuming because it'll get overheated occasionally. Could there be anything else wrong with it though?

And the other computer. That ones be so messed up by my dad that I've got no idea what we can do with it other than trash it and get a new one. The machine freezes up completely and there's almost nothing we can do to unfreeze it short of unplugging it. It restarts on its own too. Is there anyway to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:51 AM

Overheating could cause these problems. You can try cleaning inside the case of the computer.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC

Cleaning inside the laptop is more difficult but you could try blowing out all the vents with compressed air.

You could also have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes/shutdowns, which might give us some clues to the problems.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Rapidfrog

Rapidfrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:57 AM

Ah. Thank you. I'll try that.

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

One basic thing I always try is chkdsk:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

And general cleanup:

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:56 AM

If you would please start a second thread for your desktop so we can start helping you resolve the problems with it.
What are the processor temperatures? On the back of the notebook there is a small fan port. Use a flashlight to see if anything is blocking the channel.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Rapidfrog

Rapidfrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

Okay.

I've got no idea about the temperature, but there's nothing blocking the fan unless I've angled it wrong and it's pressed on the couch. That's usually when something happens to it and it shuts off. =/

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

Like a blanket the fabric hold the heat against and in the computer. I know this will sound weird, but work with me. Find , 4, somethings that are a " to 2" around and about 1" high. Place one under each corner, one a flat hard surface. I find checker or small cans of tuner work well. See if the computer stays on, or at least a little longer. If it does work you may want to consider a note cooler.

Antec NoteBook Cooler
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Rapidfrog

Rapidfrog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

I had something that kept it cool, but the cord on it got ripped in half. =/ It still serves its purpose when I use it though and keeps it mostly cool. The fan in that thing just doesn't work anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users