Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hardrive-drivelock Hdd Bay Password

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 23986136

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:08 AM

I installed a new hard drive on my son's laptop Compaq evo n400c. When I turned it on a small blue box appeared in the middle of the screen, it says DriveLock HDD Bay Password and it has a picture of a skeleton key. I bought this computer through ebay. How do I get passed this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:12 AM

Hi 23986136 and welcome to BleepingComputer.

If you read the rules you will find the following.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 23986136

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

I apologize I didn't know I was doing anything wrong. I bought three of these computers on ebay last year for my kids whom my wife and I homeschool. They used them all last year with no issues and then two of them had to have their hard drives replaced. I replaced one them with no issues and then this one had this happen. I thought maybe I did something wrong. I just wanted to explain before I drop this :thumbsup:

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

The hd vendor is responsible for the usability of the drive. The hdd pw info is written on what used to be called the CE (custom engineering I think) cylinder and normal tools will not change, read or reset that info.

If you bought the drives from a reputable vendor, get an RMA and return them. If you bought them from e-bay, your are probably SOL.

On the other hand, compaq had a bios update to fix sudden driveLock initialization:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00737398

Specific models are listed in the link.

I just got a supertalent SDD drive with the hd password set on it as a replacement on an rma. I had to send it right back since they could not use the algorithm on a Dell machine since they are third party suppliers and not dell hardware partners. I suspect it was a Chinese recycler pull since it took them three weeks to replace it the first time.

BC mods: Sometimes the hdd password problem is not a stolen laptop issue and the user can be referred to their computer vendor (or hd vendor when it is a replacement) which will help them if the customer ownership chain is clear and the device is under warranty.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:38 PM

The original post in this thread is over three years old

I suspect they have the problem resolved by now
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users