Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultimate Boot Cd, Partition Logic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:23 PM

I got myself some handy boot CD's including:
- Ultimate Boot CD
- Partition Logic (Created bootable CD)

I can boot to the CD, but once I get to the main screen, my keyboard and mouse do not work. I realized I need a PS/2 mouse or keyboard. I don't have either of these connections on my computer. How can I load USB mouse & keyboard drivers so I can get the tools on these CD's to work??

Or, does anyone know of a good partitioning program (FREEWARE) that will work with my USB mouse & keyboard. Thanks!!!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:44 PM

Those need to be enabled in the BIOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:31 AM

USB controller is enabled.
That's the only option I see in the system setup. No options for mouse or keyboard.

:thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:11 AM

Try Digital Dolly 1.0. Make sure you select to enable the USB and networking when it boots.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

Try Digital Dolly 1.0. Make sure you select to enable the USB and networking when it boots.

I've enabled all USB support & networking, but when I get to the main menu, my keyboard does not work. I cannot access any of the menus. The only thing I can do is turn off the comp.

It looks like I can't use these utilities for the following reasons:

GParted - Monitor does not support screen resolution
Ultimate Boot CD - menu is inopperable, cannot use keyboard or mouse
Digital Dolly - as stated above
Ranish Partition Manger - on floppy, works great, but does it support NTFS volumes??

Any suggestions? :flowers:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:03 AM

I'd try some PS2 adapters for your keyboard and mouse. The PS2 ports seem much more reliable to me than the USB when working with low-level issues on computers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:19 PM

I'd try some PS2 adapters for your keyboard and mouse. The PS2 ports seem much more reliable to me than the USB when working with low-level issues on computers.

I have no PS/2 ports in the comp (they are all USB), so should I get a USB male to PS/2 female adaptor and then buy a second hand PS/2 mouse & keyboard? It probably won't cost me too much. :trumpet:

Surely DELL should have realized that by going all USB there could be issues with trying to use mouse & keyboard drivers when using DOS bootdisks or utilities that don't support USB.... :flowers:

Thx. :thumbsup:

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:04 AM

Nope, no need to buy all that stuff. The suggestion to use the PS2 stuff was to see if it worked there (which would then make the USB ports suspect).

Try the Dell support site with your service tag number to locate the motherboard/chipset drivers for your system. Update them to see if that fixes it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users