Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:23 PM

I am working on a Gateway 3250S, it would sometimes boot up, but shut down after about 5 mins. Then after that it repeatedly starts and shuts down before the video kicks in. I checked the memory with known working memory, still the same result. I tested the power supply and it was good, but still replaced it with a know good power supply to be sure, same thing.
I disconnected all drives and just booted the board to see if it was a problem with a drive, same result. I added thermal paste to the CPU just incase it was overheating, still nothing. So, I purchased a new motherboard, the same board and at first it ran great, I ran it for 5 hours with no problems. The next day I went to turn it on and back to the same problem. I am leaning toward the CPU as the problem, I did not replace it with the new board. If anyone has any other thoughts I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:17 AM

The only suggestion I have is to take the side of the case off and place a house fan next to the case and see if it will run any longer. So far you have eliminated all possibilities down to the CPU. Do you get any POST codes? Were there any circumstances that lead to the malfunction of the computer IE: lightning strike, hardware upgrade, software changes etc.? Lastly what are the specs of the computer? Be specific with the MB make and model, ram type and speed, Graphics card, CPU, and power supply ratings.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:19 PM

I did try the house fan and let it cool down over night. Its not my computer, they aren't sure of any changes, but I do know
they left it plugged into a surge protector, not realizing that it was not protected. So it is a possibility. No post codes.

Gateway 3150S
MEM DDR 128MB PC3200
Intel (Augsburg) 915G Motherboard
300-Watt Power Supply
Intel Pentium 4 515 Processor
80-GB 7200-RPM EIDE Hard Drive
onboard graphics

Thanks

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:41 PM

After re-reading your post, I Would RMA (return) the motherboard you just got and try another one before changing the CPU. Since it did work for a short while after replacing the motherboard. Usually if its a CPU failure The MB will tell you during POST.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:35 PM

Thanks, but I got it off ebay and I think it is past the return period. I just find it strange that both boards are acting the same. I went ahead and ordered a cpu. It will take a week or so to get here from CA. I will let you know if it helps. Thanks !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users