Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I35w Freeway Bridge Collapses

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:24 PM

Wow, I don't drive this way often but this bridge is only a only about ten miles from my home. It is one of the main and busiest freeways around here.

They are saying that as many as fifty cars are in the water, injuries and fatalities are unknown at this moment. I hope not many were hurt or killed in this.

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_213191448.html

Slideshow: http://wcco.com/slideshows/local_slideshow_213194533

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S156329.shtml?cat=1

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages...mp;pageId=1.1.1

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=261140

Edited by Ronbo, 01 August 2007 - 07:25 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

Wow that is something. Not to many bridges go down.

Some inspector should have seen signs of this shouldn't they?

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

Yeah, it's all over the National news.

They're saying it is unclear what caused it.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

I didn't hear about it until now... like said before thats not too common.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

Wow, two bridges in two days! There was a bridge failure in Oroville Ca. that had been under construction yesterday which had made the national news, and now this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

We watched a bit of the news coverage last night and how sad! Regardless of why the bridge collapsed, the sadness must be horrible for both the survivors and those who's loved ones died. Huge sad sigh.

How every odd though ... one bridge down and people standing on the other one watching ... think I'd be hesitant to use it (it's a 'twin', is it not?) until it was thoroughly inspected.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

We watched a bit of the news coverage last night and how sad! Regardless of why the bridge collapsed, the sadness must be horrible for both the survivors and those who's loved ones died. Huge sad sigh.

How every odd though ... one bridge down and people standing on the other one watching ... think I'd be hesitant to use it (it's a 'twin', is it not?) until it was thoroughly inspected.

There are two separate bridges, you can see it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:57 PM

Glad to hear you were not on it Ronbo, I've some friends live in the suburbs up there and I've fired off an email hoping to find that they are OK too..
I've been watching the news but really nothing new since the first few hours after the fall as far as I can tell. Any new word? :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:12 AM

So far 9 people have died. That was on the news yesterday.

#10 Ronbo

Ronbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:35 PM

Thanks Wildabeast, believe me when I say I am glad I was not also. None of my family and friends were involved either so I feel thankful for that. One of my co-workers was on his way home though and he was only about twenty minutes away from the bridge when the collapse happened. I sure was glad to see his ugly face at work yesterday morning. :thumbsup:

I am sure your friends are OK, luckily it appears that not as many people were hurt or killed as first believed. Right now the toll stands at 6 dead, about 111 injured and they suspect only 8 more missing. While horrible as it is, it could have been much worse than it already is.

While the bridge was full, traffic was moving slowing because of 1) the rush hour and 2) it is a law around here to slow down when driving by working crews, you did not have cars traveling at 60mph hurtling off the bridge into the river. Given the distance needed to stop a vehicle at that speed, fast moving rush hour traffic could possibly have meant a lot more injuries and deaths than occurred.

One very inspirational thing about this whole incident was the fact that when this happened bystanders and even some of those involved in the bridge collapse themselves took risks to help those around them that needed it. The way the media likes to play up the bad side of human nature we sometimes forget that there are very many good hearted people among us. It made me feel good to know that my neighbors would do that to help out those in need.

MaraM, the bridge that collapsed was a steel arch bridge while the one the people were standing on is a stone arch bridge, two entirely different designs and totally unrelated to each other.

If anything is going to come from this it is going to be increased awareness of how we need to put more effort into maintaining the nation's (any nation's) infrastructure. You can't just build this stuff than walk away saying job well done, you have to maintain this stuff as well and we haven't been doing as good a job at this we should have.
There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users