Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Not Appearing In Dell D600 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chai

Chai

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:20 PM

I just reformatted a Dell D600, and everything went fine, i reinstalled drivers and at that point, ethernet was showing up in my network connections. Everything was cool, and then...

I made the odd mistake of disabling the ethernet, because i was (and am) connected thorugh wireless.

Then i installed some other drivers that were still missing, actually i think it was only the modem driver that was missing.

and then i go to network connections after a reboot, and there was the wireless, but no local area connection showing up.

It's still not showing up, i have wireless but no ethernet, and i tried reinstalling the driver a couple times, but still nothing. Also tried windows hardware update and that didn't help either. In my devices section of system tools, it doesn't show the ethernet at all, it just has network adapters-->WLAN which is the wireless, and the ethernet used to show up here, but it's gone. The driver is Broadcom, I uninstalled it again, i had tried it with the broadcom application for configuring networks and it doesnt find the adapter either.

so... how do i tell my computer that it has an ethernet plug? and to use the driver with it? The computer thinks nothing's back there, but it worked very well before...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chai

Chai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

Ok, more info:

I installed some other drivers after the ethernet adapter was installed, including a chipset adapter.

Also, after installing the broadcom adapter, i installed ALL the windows updates. don't know if that might have anything to do with it, but it shouldn't, right?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

Yes, it should show up in your Device Manager. Does anything show up as an "Unknown Device"? Have you rebooted since updating all of these drivers?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Chai

Chai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

ok, things got stranger.

to respond, usasma, no, it wasn't showing up in the device manager, nor was any unknown device (that happened before i installed the driver, but afterwards, it didn't show up at all). And i rebooted a couple times, so that doesn't seem to fix the issue either. thanks still, any help is welcome!

BUT. i turned off my computer for the night, and in the morning i turned it on and THE ETHERNET ADAPTER SHOWED UP. Problem NOT solved, however. After creating a workgroup on the new ethernet, i was prompted to reboot. After reboot, NO MORE ETHERNET ADAPTER. :thumbsup: ???

So my question now is this: is it possible that my ethernet plug is badly connected to the rest of my computer? What else could make my network adapter connection so sketchy and unreliable?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

Due to the sporadic nature of the connection to the Network card, I'd wonder if there's a hardware issue there myself. The "fix" is to try another NIC card - they're rather cheap ($5 to $15 US).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Chai

Chai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:36 PM

Ok, i'll try that. Thanks! i'll post once i do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users