Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Defaults To Incorrect Resolution And Refresh Rate.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

The Monitor is a Samsung 906BW 19in widescreen.

The problem:

For some odd reason, only when I am using the DVI port on the monitor with a DVI cable, the monitor wants to default to 1280x1024 with a refresh rate at 75.

Both of those should be incorrect/incompatible with the monitor because its recommended resolution is 1440x900 and the standard refresh rate on ALL Samsung LCD monitors is 60Hz.

Any help/advice in getting this monitor to display correctly would be wonderful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:29 AM

I would check the website for firmware or driver updates. It is forcing your monitor to display the old 4:3 verse the newer 16:9 (wide screen or "letterbox") standard.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:28 AM

Okay. It doesn't "force" my monitor to display at 1280x1024 with the refresh rate at 75Hz, but there are 2 reason why I believe it wants me to.

1) The image across the whole screen looks a hell of a lot clearer when I set the resolution to 1280x1024, even though it is compressing the image vertically and stretching it horizontally.

2) There is an Information page in the monitor's menu bar that will only display this information:

Digital
80.0kHz 75Hz PP
1280x1024

I can change both the resolution and refresh rate but that Information page stays the same.

I would check the website for firmware or driver updates.

Yes, I have checked the website and downloaded the driver software from it, though that driver software prevents me from using the 1280x1024 resolution (as it should because this resolution shouldn't work at all.)
So, I've decided not to use the monitor's driver for the moment and instead I am using a generic Plug and Play Monitor driver that I found in windows.

Edited by megalo, 02 August 2007 - 10:37 AM.

#4 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:19 PM

What video card do you have? Check the driver for it.

Posted Image

#5 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

My video card is an Evga 8800 gts (the 720mb version). It has 2 DVI ports.

Yes I have tried both ports using not just 1 DVI cable but 2.

Not only that I have used a second computer that has an x800 pro with both DVI cables with the same result.

This amounts to 6 different combinations across 2 DVI cables, 3 DVI ports, and 2 computers with 2 video cards.

#6 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 07:21 PM

I downloaded the new driver update from Nvidia that was released on July 26 and now it works perfectly.

I'm so happy now... :thumbsup: :huh: :huh: B)

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:28 PM

Good job. Nice to see it was that simple.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users