Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start, Tries To Then Stops

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 downdraft

downdraft

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

My wife has an old Gateway computer, about 5 years old. The other day she could not get it to start, told me and I did not have time to get to it. That night, I heard it trying to start, then going on and off, never booting. The start "light" would go on for a second, then off and nothing. I disconnected it, then tried it in the morning. When I reconnected the power cord, it tried again to start, making the initial sounds when you boot it normally...then went off. I hit the power button again, and it did the same thing each time. Tried, then stopped.
I dismantled the case, vacuumed the crap out of it (it looked like old refrigerator fins), then removed and cleaned the dust off the switch. I again attached the power cord, and it did the same, trying to start, then it stopped. When I tried to start it by pushing the power button...no soap.

I suspect the Power Supply. Any help would be appreciated. I have a new power supply I never installed on another computer...could I use that?

Thanks, Downdraft

Moderator Edit: Fixed BBCode tags. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 01 August 2007 - 05:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:30 PM

I dismantled the case, vacuumed the crap out of it

Be very careful here. What did you use to vacuum; was it a regular vacuum? Electro static discharge can fry your computer parts.

I suspect the Power Supply. Any help would be appreciated. I have a new power supply I never installed on another computer...could I use that?

Yes, try swapping it out. You need to make sure that the new power supply has the right amount of pins (usually 20 or 24 pins) and that it's the same form factor as your case (the most common form factor is ATX).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users