Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's Ecc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 repairman

repairman

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:10 PM

I've been look at memory for my computer and I found what I was looking for except at the end of the description it would have SDRAM non-ECC. I would like to know what the non-ECC means?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

ECC is an error checking thing with RAM, and is usually only used in RAM for Servers. Non-ECC is just non-error checking, and is used for normal computers as most MoBo's are not compatible with it...

See here.

B|U|Z|Z :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

Non-ECC is what you want on your computer, ECC as the article explains is primarily used in servers, what may not be clear is that it has an extra chip that checks for errors and consiquently is slower.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users