Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

highspeed set-up 98SE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 29 January 2005 - 11:17 PM

I set up a brand new computer(an upgrade box) last week for a friend. Loaded 98se , Windows updates, office applications, internet apps, AV, Spyware Programs, etc. Same thing I do for all home computers that I get. He took the computer home and called me that night, he said that everything worked great except his internet was a little slow. I told him that I would pick the computer back up and look at it. I experienced the same problem at my house -I was getting 1/4 of the speed that I expecting running the high speed test from my service provider. I made sure, that I had the latest drivers, checked his NIC card settings, removed the NIC in Windows, re-added it, ...same problem. I even tried another NIC card..same transfer speeds. Removed all network settings..re-added them..same problem.. In the end, I ran a TCP tweak from the speedguide.com.
As soon as I did(after a reboot), his transfer speed went to a normal highspeed level.

Is this normal for 98se? I have never had to tweak a 98se machine to get the optimal TCP performance with a fresh set-up...makes me wonder if I have missed something in my previous installs.

Joshuacat

Edited by Joshuacat, 29 January 2005 - 11:19 PM.

JC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:43 AM

I never tweaked 98 machines when I was doing corporate installs either. They said in the past that you wanted to increase the window size to increase throughput but I never noticed a difference in speed.

I am not sure if this is just one of those flukey things

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users