Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

External Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kasnani

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

I have a WD Passport 80 GB USB 2.0 external hard drive. I purchased it a few months ago and was using it with Windows XP without any problems. Recently I switched to Windows Vista, and that's when I started having trouble with it - many times when I try and transfer a file (regardless of the file size...I've tried everything from a single mp3 to a 2 gb video file), the transfer will just stop after a few seconds, and not do anything. It won't progress, though Windows Explorer hasn't stopped responding or anything like that. When I try to cancel, it also just sits there saying "Canceling", but never actually goes away. This only happens sometimes, other times the file transfer goes through without any problems.

So I tried formatting it (in NTFS using Windows' Format utility), but the same problem still happens. I re-connected it to my old Windows XP computer, and now when I try to transfer files onto it, it transfers part of the file (or the first few in a group of files), then provides a message saying the transfer had failed, and specifies "Could not find the sector requested".

Anyone have any idea what's gone wrong? Is the external drive damaged beyond repair? Or is there some problem with the connecting cable that's causing file transfers to occasionally fail?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:57 AM

Does the drive appear in Disk Management in XP? (Start...Run...type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter)
If it does, then try running chkdsk on it. Also, try running the Western Digital diagnostic tools on it (if you don't have the CD, the tools can be downloaded for free from Western Digital's website).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users