Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oudin

oudin

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

Okay, does anyone have any suggestions on a good KDE based Linux that has very low requirements? I'm trying to recover an old laptop, and I don't want to have to deal with command line all the the time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:04 PM

For a very light version of linux get Puppy. However I would prefer PCLOS more, it is not the biggest hog and recognises many devices.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:34 PM

PCLOS installed is kinda heavy for me (need a 10 gb hdd to set it up properly), but the live CD works great with a 650MHz P3 with 256mb RAM, Kubuntu (again install heavy but lighter then PCLOS,different set up see remark) also worked well, and puppy is light as a feather.

Remark: PCLOS likes to have a /Home directory which eats into HDD space instead of using the / directory to save everything too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users