Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Firefox Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

I use Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty, and my Mozilla Firefox browser keeps shutting down automatically. One of 3 things happens:

1. Firefox merely closes, and I have to open it again.
2. Firefox freezes, and I have to terminate it.
3. My whole computer freezes, but my mouse still works. I can't do anything though, so I have to force a shutdown using the power button.

Anybody help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:41 PM

Install Swiftfox (its optimized for AMD processors but works great with Intels) If you have enabled Automatix2 then it will be in the web browser section (remember to install the codecs and plugins as well) from there it should transfer all data (including extensions and bookmarks) from Firefox.

If you dont use Automatix2 then google it. (If I posted the link it would most likely come up as an RPM file instead of a DEB file) It'll be on a Mozila site.

Posted Image

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:45 PM

I am using Ubuntu and Firefox just fine. Did you install anything else right before the problem happened? What version of Firefox are you using? Are there specific pages it dies on? Installing another application does not 'fix' the problem. (If you broke your leg, would a shiny new watch fix it? :thumbsup: )P ersonally, I would uninstall it using apt-get and then reinstalling it. Perhaps your version was just corrupted?

#4 sharpe95

sharpe95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:00 PM

It does seem like it dies on www.tribalwars.net the most. I'll try to uninstall it and get it again. I'm running 2.0.0.6.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

When I had Ubuntu on my Desktop I ran into a similar issue. After Uninstalling and reinstalling all of Firefox and Add-ons and still having a random crash (different pages,videos,java) i tried Swiftfox which was the same version as Firefox and it worked.

Swiftfox is meant to correct some of the issues with AMD processors and Linux.

Also (I dont know if Mozilla fixed it in Firefox or not but it was still an issue when i switched) the Memory issue where Firefox uses ungodly amounts of RAM seems less so (havent noticed lagging since the switch)

Edited by BlackSpyder, 01 August 2007 - 08:12 PM.

Posted Image

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:29 PM

If it doesn't fix the problem, definitely try with blackspyder's suggestion also. If that doesn't work, then there may be another underlying issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users