Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mega Pc Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 oudin

oudin

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:19 AM

Ok my pc, that I'm using now, keeps randomnly restarting and wont turn off, will only restart. It has been doing this since I installed Wincleaner complete pc care, and the anti-virus with that dtected and deleted a virus, but there were no problems before that.
So I got rid of all of the wincleaner software except the antivirus, and still its happening, it wont let me go to a restore point, and each time te pc restarts a message comes up sayin its recover from a serious error, and I send the error report which microsofts site says is corrupted.

One of the things that seem st trigger it to restart is when i put in a music cd and windows media player loads and it restarts.

I hve windows XP, any ideas on how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

Have you tried using System Restore from a command prompt in "SAFE MODE"?

The symptoms you describe could be malware related or they could be due to hardware or overheating problems caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing power supply, underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, drivers, dirty hardware, etc. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to restart on a more regular basis. If your not finding any malware then its sounds like the latter problem.

When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Dust restricts the airflow and prevents proper cooling. This in turn can cause overheating and faulty processor fans which can result in unexpected shutdowns, random restarts, booting problems, etc.
  • Open your machine, check all the connections and make sure the fans are all operational.
  • Check the heat sink on the processor to ensure it is not blocked with dust or debris.
  • Remove the CPU's cooling unit and clean the fins on the heat sink that sits under the CPU with a can of compressed air.
  • Inspect the thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink as it can break down over time so.
  • Remove the cards and RAM modules, clean the contacts and reseat them.
  • Feel the CPU heatsink when it powers down. It should be warm to very warm but not hot.
See "Cleaning the Interior of your PC" and the "Illustrated How to Replace an AGP Video Card" (use as a guide to clean & reseat).

A word of caution about WinCleaner. This software also includes a registry fix/cleaner. Using these types of utilities improperly or making incorrect changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable. Did you use that feature and if so, did you backup the registry before making the changes.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users