Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wpa 2 For Windows Xp?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 purple frog

purple frog

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:41 AM

at my university, they recently upgraded the encryption of the wireless network of our campus to WPA 2, which XP SP2 does not recognize (and I have the home edition) the Information Services dept. at my school released two hotfixes to allow xp users' computers to recognize the WPA 2 encryption; and i followed their instructions in installing it, but when my computer is logging on to this network, it seems to snag at the "validating identity" there is also a MAC filter present, but i have registered my MAC for the wireless card. the Information services person said that it is the client that is tieing it up and preventing it from logging on fully, and that the extra client needs to be uninstalled. if i do this though, my drivers for the wireless card also get uninstalled and i cannot find just the drivers.

also, i followed the steps on my friends computer, and got the same issue. she has the IBM access client on her computer, and it wont even let the card recognize the WPA 2 encryption.

how do i get this WPA 2 to work on computer running XP SP2? they are both home edition. (i can upload the hotfixes if you want to peer at their coding, just ask)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:03 PM

XP supports WPA. XP also is supposed to support WPA 2. Try this:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...sssecurity.mspx

#3 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:59 PM

thanks for the help, but i will just have to be happy with my wired connection since i dont feel like shelling out money just to use my schools wireless network on a desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users