Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Combined With Latest Firefox - Software Etc Confusion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:18 AM

Hi all

I'm hoping that someone can shed some light to my confusion.

I have the latest version of Vista Home Premium, and the latest version of Firefox V 2.0.0.6.

How do I know or find out if the software download is compatible with both - especially as each of them are the latest versions which means many tprograms etc still have to update.

Example: I love adding Firefox Addons, but keep forgetting to check the version ((Old XP habit!)

INTERNOTE
Works with:
* Firefox Firefox: 1.0 2.0.0.*

DOWNLOAD STATUSBAR
Works with:
* Firefox Firefox: 2.0 2.0.0.*

TAB-MIX-PLUS
Works with:
* Firefox Firefox: 1.0 3.0a5

Having realized this, I know that the majority of my addons are between the
1.0 - 2.0.0 and 2.0 - 2.0.0

It seems to me that since installing many of these, my laptop isn't running as well as it was.

So, does installing versions less than my 2.0.0.6 cause conflicts / damage and whateverelse??

Is there a way to find which addons etc suit both vista and latest firefox?

Does the version of the addons, and indeed, the actual addon itself, have any bearing on Vista?
Simply put, must addons be compatible with vista??

I was attempting to download and install "Interclue" addon, but failed due to it having a .XPI extension. I have searched the web for an easy way to do this, but it was all just too complicated. Is there a "dummy guide" perhaps. It's worth noting that downloading in firefox does not give the option to Save As, just Open With, and Save.

Help is most certainly needed !!

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

This file extention may not work with Vista, but have a look here and see if you can find a work-a-round
http://filext.com/file-extension/XPI

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:29 PM

I have TABMIXPLUS, Firefox 2.0.0.6 and Vista and am having no trouble. Most extensions run entirely inside Firefox and so whether your running Vista or XP shouldn't matter.

As far as I know all Firefox extensions have are xpi files. To install an xpi file yyou've downloaded just drag the xpi file onto the Add-Ons window in Firefox.

You can start Firefox in its safe mode (than it won't load any extensions or plug-ins). If everything runs fine you know where your problem lies.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:48 PM

I have TABMIXPLUS, Firefox 2.0.0.6 and Vista and am having no trouble. Most extensions run entirely inside Firefox and so whether your running Vista or XP shouldn't matter.

As far as I know all Firefox extensions have are xpi files. To install an xpi file yyou've downloaded just drag the xpi file onto the Add-Ons window in Firefox.

You can start Firefox in its safe mode (than it won't load any extensions or plug-ins). If everything runs fine you know where your problem lies.

Hi Mr Alpha
Could you please give me more info/ detailed explanation on the .xpi and dragging into the Add-Ons window, or perhaps some screenshots if possible

Many thanks :huh:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:05 AM

You got your coolextension.xpi file in older somewhere. Have that folder open. Then in Firefox go to Tools > Add-Ons. This opens the small Add-Ons window with Extensions and Themes and such. Then just drag the coolextension.xpi file to the Add-Ons window.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users