Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook Not Recognizing Disc And Xd Drives After Using A New Memory Stick

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 seadaug

seadaug

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

I recently purchased and used a memory stick, which worked fine. After using it though, my disc drive and xD card reader do not work (these are the only "drives" I ever used prior to the memory stick).

When I put a disc in the disc drive it sounds like it's reading and the light on the disc drive door flickers as if it's reading, but nothing changes on the computer. I don't think there really is anything physically wrong with the disc drive because it sounds and acts like it always did when it worked. Prior to the memory stick I'd always used the disc drive for copying to DVDs and CDs, or for reading from them.

When I put an xD memory card in the xD memory drive/slot nothing happens. Prior to the memory stick I'd always used the xD drive/slot to read my camera's memory card.

I've tried rebooting and then also rebooting with the boot disc--at this point I'm willing to loose my data if I can get my disc drives working again. Obviously I'd be scared to use the memory stick again unless I can be advised on how to get everthing to work without one causing issues for the other as I believe is the case.

This is my thought (bear in mind I'm not a computer wiz): I think the memory stick somehow did an override on the drivers that run the other dirves.

Any help is greatly appreciated, a solution and lunch is on me!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:41 AM

One thing you could try is to go into the Device Manager and delete the DVD drive and xD memory drive. Then reboot your computer and Windows should automatically recognise them as new hardware and install them.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:17 AM

You may find the memory stick drive letter is still in device manager too. Delete that as well.
JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users