Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keeping My Lan Secure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

Hey lads...

I'll give you a run down of my current setup:

I have a Motorola SBG900 wireless cable router/modem.
I have 1 PC connected to it via RJ45 cable - this is my day-to-day computer for gaming/email/banking etc. (Computer 1)
I have 1 PC connected via a Netgear WG111 Wireless USB adapter. (Computer 2)
Both access the internet without problems.

What I want to do is make Computer 2 use a Static IP Address, and enable Port Forwarding in the SBG900 (so that Computer 2can be utilised for P2P connections).

I understand that P2P connections are prone to viruses etc, so I want to ensure that I can effectively make the changes to the Router and Computer 2 without the effecting the security of Computer 1. I can't afford to get a virus on Computer 1!!!

If I disable DHCP in the Router, does this mean I will need to allocate Static IP Addresses to both Computer 1 and Computer 2? In addition to that, if I then have made a Static IP for Computer 1, and also enable Port Forwarding in the Router, will that affect the security of Computer 1 in any way?

If there is anything I have missed, or you think pertinent, please let me know!

Cheers!!

B|U|Z|Z :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:57 PM

the router should have a firewall on it aswell as firewalls on both computers (just incase). With your network you will have wep/wpa/wpa2 security on and if you turn off DHCP you will need to assign static IP's to both computers.
Maybe if your router supports mac filtering do that and also turn off broadcast of your wireless. Thats should take care of network security. Any changes to your router should be done while connect wired.

with viruses Generally with p2p, everything needs to be scanned and i never get any .exe files (i think alot of viruses come this way) also before extracting anything scan it.

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:53 PM

Thanks madnlooney, I will have a look into what you suggested!

:thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users