Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hey Can Someone Help Me With My Outlook Express Problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:07 PM

Aright so recently My dad has told me of a recent problem where all of his mail, in his inbox, outbox, sent folder, i mean every single solitary thing,letter,draft,everything has been wiped out....now the strange thing about this is that on my account (we have windows xp service pack 2 operating system by the awy) non of my mail related items have been wiped out nor has any other persons mail who also share this computer. Can anyone help me or tell me where to start to maybe resolve the problem?

Oh and my computer is clean, i mean no viruses,spyware anything as of now.

Moved from the "Business" Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 31 July 2007 - 10:37 PM.

If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:14 PM

The two most common reasons for what you describe is disruption of the compacting process, (never touch anything until it's finished), or bloated folders.

See Tip #4 in OE Tips for Recovering Lost Messages.
Another good read is File Corruption in Outlook Express.

To avoid this happening in the future:

- Don't use the Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local folders created for this purpose.
- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
- Disable Background Compacting (not available in SP2) and frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline".
- XP SP2 only: Don't shut down your PC while Windows is automatically compacting your messages.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 monkpart9

monkpart9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

Thanks tmack :thumbsup:

Edited by monkpart9, 02 August 2007 - 09:29 PM.

If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users