Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virusprotect Pro Infection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 efsculpt

efsculpt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

I have a Dell Dimension L667r, running win 98 2nd
I am infected with the VirusProtect Pro rogue program. I got some help from Grinler at "how to remove VirusProtect Pro" but my Operating System is Windows 98 2nd and programs designed to remove this infection don't work in Win 98 2nd. As things stand now, I'll have to reinstall Norton Security as the Pro program ruined it. How to fix?
Thanks,
efsculpt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:58 PM

Hi efsculpt,

To enable us to look back at your file, what was the member user name that you had used in your previous posts?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 efsculpt

efsculpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:05 AM

I went from Google search- eliminate VirusProtect Pro- the BleepingComputer forum that discussed "How to...". This is the post address: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98219/how-to-remove-virusprotect-or-virus-protect-removal-instructions/
Lots of good info from Grinler, plus removal programs. However, not for Win 98 2nd ed
So, after trying to locate the dlls of the Rogue Program in System 32 and System files of Windows, and trying to "hire" pay programs to eliminate- Won't accept Win 98 2nd- I ended up registering and posting. I had been on Cnet, previously. My Semantec let this on slip through.
efsculpt

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:51 AM

The program below will remove the malware in Windows 98
Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

If you need to uninstall and reinstall Norton and have a problem with uninstalling, use the Norton Removal Tool in the link below.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 efsculpt

efsculpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:09 PM

Thanks. I have run Superanitspyware and Dr. Cureit. Removed and reinstalled Norton Security and "repaired" Internet Explorer. I am going to run all removal programs again. Then see how computer behaves. I need to get a new one as I had to add RAM to this one just to get it to shut down properly- ie. it's over taxed. I think the rogue program has pushed it to it's limit again.
Question- When I get a new computer, how do I prevent transferring maleware/VirueProtect Pro pieces to the new computer? I will probably use an externat hard drive.
Thanks to all,
efsculpt

Thanks. I have run Superantispyware and Dr. Cureit. Removed and reinstalled Norton Security and "repaired" Internet Explorer. I am going to run all removal programs again. Then see how computer behaves. I need to get a new one as I had to add RAM to this one just to get it to shut down properly- ie. it's over taxed. I think the rogue program has pushed it to it's limit again.
Question- When I get a new computer, how do I prevent transferring maleware/VirueProtect Pro pieces to the new computer? I will probably use an externat hard drive.
Thanks to all,
efsculpt

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

Super Antispyware should remove all of the Virus protectpro. The malware is constantly changing file names,etc. so if it doesn't remove it today, update SAS in a day or two and will likely remove any leftovers.
If the Windows 98 has a restore feature you should remove the restore points and reset after you are satisfied the computer is free of malware.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 efsculpt

efsculpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:24 AM

Thanks TMack and buddy215 for the help. I think the Superantispyware and Dr. Cure It did the job. Now, if there is a program that will turn my computer into a dual core, 2000MB ram, 250 GB HD, DVD/CD RW burner desktop with a 20"LCD flat screen, would you let me know?
Thanks again,
efsculpt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users