Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Full Potential

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kyle m

kyle m

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

i recently purchased a dell inspiron 1501 laptop. i upgraded it when i ordered it, to 1 GB of RAM and a dual core processor.

the processor is 64 bit, and i have been told that with windows xp, i can not take full advantage of that processor. is there something i can do to improve use of my processor, or is upgrading to vista my only option?

also, the process TrueVector Service is taking up a substantial amount of my physical RAM. i am pretty sure that this is a windows program, but am not sure if it is supposed to take up that much memory, or if i even need it.

advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

The TrueVector Service is part of the Zone Alarm firewall. dont get rid of it.

There is a 64 bit version of XP Pro, however that will only benefit you if you need more than 4 gig of ram. the max ram your laptop supports is 2 gig according to dell.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 kyle m

kyle m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

so basically the only thing possible is upgrading to vista?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:02 PM

Upgrading to 32 bit vista may give you some extra bells and whistles, but it will probably slow down your machine. A 64 bit version of vista wont improve anything, either. Your machine wont hold enough ram to use 64 bit fully.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 thekingof7

thekingof7

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:46 PM

Really with Windows XP you wont notice much of a difference between a 64 bit processor and a regular old 32 bit one. But since it is a dual-core you will have a much faster clock speed, which will give you a bit of extra get-up and go. The only real difference in performance you will notice would be jobs involving, video editing/encoding. That is where the 64 bit processor truly shines.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:06 AM

There are 64 bit versions of XP and Vista - but the use of them will be limited by your hardware's driver support. If you don't have 64 bit drivers for all of your hardware, then you won't be able to use a 64 bit OS.

That being said, there's not a whole lot of benefit (IMO) in switching - you'll get the ability to do a bit more, but (especially with a laptop) you won't really have a need for it. I'd suggest that the most effective upgrade you could get for your laptop is another gig of RAM - but the value of this is limited because you just won't notice a great leap in performance with it either.

In the long run, the extra RAM will prevent your system from bogging down if too many processes are eating up your RAM. But there comes a point where all the extra RAM in the world doesn't do a durned thing - and this is because of other limiting factors with the resources of your PC (most commonly the resources that you'll face "limits" on is the RAM, CPU, video, hard drive, and Front Side Bus).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users