Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Illegal Software

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 bernie66

bernie66

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:31 PM

A laptop I borrowed from employers for home use had a recordable CD ROM in the disc drive, hand labelled 'Office Professional 2003'. The disc also had written on it the software code required when installing it. Presumably left there by my company's IT department!

If I can successfully install Office 2003 from this disc, (I currently use an old version of MS Works), is there any way my company will know I'm using it? I'm thinking of if it asks me to register on-line, or picks up my details if downloading updates to the software. Technically theft, I know, but hugely cheaper than buying MS Office Professional.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

Message Boards Rules
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

If it's a volume licence key allocated to your employer's company you may well find it's valid and will work OK. Even if you get away with breaking the law, you may be going against your employer's policies and may find yourself subject to dismissal. Is it really worth it?

Why not enquire whether your company participates in Microsoft's home software initiative? That way you can obtain a legal copy of Office at the cost of the CD.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:50 PM

Technically theft, I know, but hugely cheaper than buying MS Office Professional.

What you are talking about is theft, as you so state yourself. This subject is not permitted on Bleeping Computer forums as TMacK has mentioned and linked to the list of forum rules that include what was quoted. With this in mind this topic is now closed.

Animal, Forum Moderator

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users