Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Salvage This Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wingin-it

wingin-it

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:34 PM

Hey All,
My husband brought home a computer that was previously used and I think it may be a good computer, as I am a novice who can say.
It was set up to network so I assume for an office use.
It is an HP Pavilion 8770C running Windows 2000 Office.
I do not have the disks to reinstall the Windows if I trash them but can live with that.
I am of course not the Admin so I cant or dont know how to change any thing on it( and would really like to use it singularly) and I cant seem to make the computer not look for network connections at start up and cant seem to remove the Aol icon or program that it used to connect.
I would really like to clean this thing up and use it if it is feasible. It isnt connected to the internet and wont be until such a time as I can do something with it.
Anyhoo any ideas or advice welcomed.
Thanks Wing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

Probably the best option would be to go out and buy Windows XP and do a clean install. Or linux will work just fine too, and I prefer it. If you want to keep Windows 2000, then I would go to e-bay and buy a copy of it, I find Windows 2000 Pro to be the best version of Windows to date, but that is my personal opinion.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

Probably the best option would be to go out and buy Windows XP and do a clean install. Or linux will work just fine too, and I prefer it. If you want to keep Windows 2000, then I would go to e-bay and buy a copy of it, I find Windows 2000 Pro to be the best version of Windows to date, but that is my personal opinion.

-Steve

If I may, I will second that opinion. It is bullet proof compared to all other versions of windows.
If you need replacement disks try Restore Disks.com. I do not believe Windows 2000 pro is available OEM anymore.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

I've used these people before
http://www.viosoftware.com/Windows+2000+Pr...sional+OEM.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

Check this link at hp, Pavilion 8770C

This is the full original specs for the computer, max ram 512, it cannot be upgraded beyond that, and the original software was Win98.

I agree with the previous posters, windows 2000 or linux would be best, and if you need parts for upgrade, look on ebay. restore discs . com could only send you the quick restore cd, which is useless if this machine has been formatted.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 thekingof7

thekingof7

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

Well could you just use the Windows magic jellybean password finder, then copy down her serial, and bootleg a copy of the windows 2000 disk, as long as you are using your own serial it should be okay.

And if you want your admin passwords download this iso, burn it, and boot from it. You'll have your passwords in minutes.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...lease_id=527729

#7 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:40 AM

Hey King,

Thats an interesting link you got there buddy.....thanks.
JTH

#8 wingin-it

wingin-it
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

WOW THANKS!
You guys are great.
Didnt really think yall would get back so soon or that so many would be so helpful.
Wish me luck as I am not too good at this stuff.
I hope everyone is bug free and lightening fast from here on.
Happy computing,
Wing

#9 thekingof7

thekingof7

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:05 AM

Just wondering howd it go?

#10 wingin-it

wingin-it
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:01 PM

Hi there all,
I know its been ages since I posted and I didnt forget all you did for me. I have raved to people how great yall are so who knows there may be folks on here I sent.
Anyhoo, ended up letting someone else fix it for me, not good enough to do it myself, have a good running computer with XP on it now. Its okay and i can live with it.
Thanks to all of you who take the time to help out the computer illiterate out there and keep up the good work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users