Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Best Of The Best

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:00 PM

Ok I know that there is a bunch of topics comparing free Anti-Virus Anti-Spyware and Firewall programs but I couldn't find one that compiled it all into one topic. Well heres your shot. I use AVG Free and thats about it. List what you think is the Best of the best in free Anti-Virus Anti-Spyware and Firewall programs out there. Post links of leak tests and such if you got them. And if you have extra time. Are there any programs better than Peerguardian 2 or is it the best at what it does? WOOHOO Lets do this!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

Here is what I like:

AntiVirus:Firewall:*Leak test Results for Comodo Firewall Pro
*Comodo Firewall's Ranking in the Leak Test

AntiSpyware:Anti-Rootkit

Edited by SpySentinel, 31 July 2007 - 07:18 PM.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#3 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:23 PM

what is anti-rootkit?

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:22 PM

A Rootkit can take full control of an O/S

It's often used to hide utilities and to abuse a compromised system.
A major use for rootkits is allowing the programmer of the rootkit to see and access user names and log-in information.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:57 AM

Oh....well thats not good....anyone else have any great free Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and Firewalls

#6 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:53 AM

Anti-Rookit is a tool to remove rootkits. Anti-Rootkits are good. Rootkits are bad.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#7 Maabsta

Maabsta

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:52 AM

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I used to use ZoneAlarm as my firewall until it added many random compatibility problems. Now I use Comodo and have almost no trouble with it. The only thing I've noticed is the internet will just randomly stop downloading something which it never used to do. I'll start downloading a cd and it will just stop half way through. I don't fully know if this is Comodo's fault or something else. I recommend (and use) everything that SpySentinel said except I use AVG as my anti virus due to the fact that it is really light weight and I have never gotten a virus and I still use Ad-Aware from time to time. Use what SpySentinel suggested and use safe internet habits and you'll be fine. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Maabsta, 01 August 2007 - 09:53 AM.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

Comodo Firewall sometimes has compatibility issues depending on your system. I ditched it on my old computer because it kept deactivating. The only solution was to uninstall and reinstall it. I don't care much for any of the other free firewalls. IMO, Avira AnitVir is better than AVG. AVG isn't as good as it was a few years ago. In testing, AntiVir detects more virsuses than AVG. AntiVir also comes with a rootkit scanner. We're seeing a lot of this sort of thing. Programs like AVG Anti Virus, SpyBot & AdAware were all at the top of the class several years ago. Not anymore. Competitors such as AntiVir, AVG Anti Spyware & Super Anti Spyware have passed them by. And they're all free. One of the best things about this site is keeping up to date with current security trends. With my new computer, I am able to get free Norton security protection from my ISP. I didn't have enough memory before. I still use AVG Anti Spyware, Super AntiSpyware, Spyware Blaster & Panda Nano Scan.

#9 Maabsta

Maabsta

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 02:06 PM

To Frank (I'm Frankie) was Comodo making your downloads stop abruptly or doing something different? I cannot download anything that takes over 10 mins before it times out. Don't want to take over the thread but just a quick question.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

No it just wasn't activating on start up. I understand Comodo may have issues with folks on cable because a different address is issued every time I log on. I liked the product when it worked but it didn't work a lot of the time.

#11 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:46 PM

FYI for AntiVir users. As of June 30, they stopped supporting 98/Me. I'm hunting now for a replacement for my kids and grandkids older computers that can't run XP.

#12 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:53 PM

I was considering the Comodo free firewall as an alternative to ZoneAlarm 6.5.737 (which is what I'll be reverting to using on my replacement laptop -- I currently use 7.0.302 on my current laptop). But then I saw on the Comodo board that there's a vulnerability.

I don't know what any of that means, but it looks like it's not getting fixed until the next version (maybe)...?

So I may stick with the old version of ZA for now...

(Not wanting to hijack this thread, I'm going to start a thread asking for opinions on the two firewalls vs. each other...)

Hope that info helped some... :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#13 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:54 AM

What about Avast? Im pretty sure its free and is it better than AntiVir and AVG?

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

IIRC, based on test results, AntiVir detects more viruses and is at the top of the class generally. I'm not sure where I saw that but I'm sure somebody else can find it.

#15 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:52 AM

How do you feel AVG Antimalware Pro holds up? That's what I'm considering getting (as I'm used to using the AVG Free A/V). Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 04 August 2007 - 09:52 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users