Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Loader

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:45 AM

i have a copy of xp pro and a copy of mce 2005 both on seperate hard drives.
Want to be able to choose which one i boot at the start and guess i need one of these. How does it work an where do i get one from??

DC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:36 PM

MCE is really just another flavor of XP. All XP versions have the ability during install to detect previously installed versions of Windows and create a dual boot setup if you wish. Apparently, on the second install the original hard drive was not present and that installation was not detected by the second installer.

You can keep the installation of the second OS as it is. Wipe the drive that contains the first installation. Install that OS again paying attention to the message that the installer has found a previous version of Windows. Direct the installer to put the new OS on the wiped drive. A dual boot startup option will be created for you automatically and will appear every time your PC starts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users