Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crackling Audio/slight Distortion!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 japal4649

japal4649

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:56 AM

In the last week, all sound on my laptop has started to crackle slightly. I changed headphones, but realized that thats not the problem. If i increase volume, the crackling gets worse, and distortion really sets in. Strange....only started happening last week. I have tried reinstalling my sound card driver, but no change there. Have looked around all my audio settings but cant find any clues. music etc is still listenable, but there is just a faint crackle constantly annoying me. and distortion if i turn the volume up louder.

Does this mean my sound card is wearing out?? or is it a physical prob inside?

my sound card is : Conexant AC link audio
i have windows xp home edition on a HP compaq nx4800

any help would be much appreciated!!

alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roman Clone

Roman Clone

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

I have a similar problem, I'm thinking its a power problem. Maybe its a virus out there.

#3 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

Japal you say you swapped out headphones, but does the laptop have speakers ? is there distortion through them ? You say you re-installed the driver but is there an updated driver available for your machine ? Might want to check Compaq's site for latest release drivers. Did the problem start after something was downloaded or changed on your system ?

what you describe does indeed sound like a hardware issue but let's remove as many other options as possible first, you could also try playing the music through another media player and see what happens there. How old is the laptop and does the soundcard get a regular good workout ? It's most likely and integrated card anyway so it may be hard to fix/replace, another possibility is dust affecting the cards components which will cause crackling particularly to output circuits.

Another check you can do is go control panel/sounds and audio devices/audio tab/sound playback volume tab. check that the volume sllider icons are not at the very top of any of the various sound sources and make sure the mic is muted
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users