Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Pretty Sure Myspace Gave Me A Virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ittykitty

ittykitty

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:41 AM

Hello....this is my first post. I've tried my hardest to avoid bothering you kind folks, but I don't think I can avoid it any longer. I strongly believe that myspace gave me a virus.
Early on this month I was having some serious problems with my computer running EXTREMELY slow. (I didn't have protection on my computer because it was my spare) It started happening after I've visited a myspace page. I started to get a ton of pop ups and so on. I decided to install a free antivirus software. AVG. It detected a few viruses. I couldn't get them fixed. I was watching tv one night and saw a comercial that my internet provider has a antivirus software. So I got rid of AVG and downloaded it. After running it, it showed a few more viruses. I couldn't clean them.
One was tellsar a and a couple others.....I can't remember.
I done a google search of the viruses and came upon your page and followed a few suggestions you have given other about removing the viruses I had.
I installed spybot, but it couldn't remove all of the spyware and viruses. And I installed combofix. That took care of the viruses I knew about. I ran the antivirus several times and It came up clean.
My computer still runs slow. I figured I can live with it being a little slow. But I decided to to some more checking. I used an online antivirus scan.... it came up with a couple more viruses that I cannot find with the three items I have installed. (which is antivirus software, spybot and combofix.)
What can I do?
When I have a page up, it keeps closing. It get irritating after a while, having to keep bringing up IE and going to a page and having to log on again and try to get back to what I was doing.
It doesn't give me any type of error notice....it just closes.
I would greatly appreciate any type of assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:12 AM

If you are going to scan and remove, it works better if you do this in safe mode, another thing to do would be use the Preparation Guide for Use Before Posting a Hijack This Log.

How to start windows in safe mode.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

ittykitty

Now that you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

#4 ittykitty

ittykitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

Oh no....I think I made a change. Should I post a new log file?

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:06 PM

Don't post anything new. it will just move you back on the list or cause your log to be missed entirely.

#6 ittykitty

ittykitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:56 PM

I haven't posted anything new to my hijack log. Would you happen to know how long it may take for someone to look at it? I was just wondering. Thanks.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

If you haven't heard back from the HJT Team in 5 days, go to this topic, Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?, and carefully follow all directions.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 dancomedy

dancomedy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:51 AM

IttyKitty,

I was having the same issue. Avast! is a good program, the home user version is free and it catches most things. I still have my pesky Tellsar A trojan infection. My advice would be to back up all the files you dont want to lose and format your hard drive. You can get a reboot CD from Microsoft and it wipes everything clean and rebuilds. I do it once every 6 months or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users