Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lilii2

Lilii2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:23 AM

Hi, I have a windows vista OS and I just recently tried/wanted to dual boot with windows XP. So I created a partitioned drive (d) alongside my primary one . I ran windows xp setup on drive D and halfway during setup (when it's first copying all the files) my little brother pressed the power button so it suddenly got interrupted. When I turned on the computer again. It said "Error loading operating system". So I ran the windows xp setup again, after copying all the files and reboot, it says "press any key to load cd" again instead of continuing with the setup. I keep trying the set-up again and the same thing happens.

Vista was installed before XP so I'm guessing IF I had finished setting up windows xp correctly, XP would boot instead of Vista--but because XP didn't finish installing, my computer doesn't detect any OS so that's why it doesn't even give me the "Error loading operating system" message anymore, like there's no OS at all. But I believe Vista is either fine or the unfinished XP setup may have interfered with it (that--I kind of doubt).

So basically:
1. I can't get XP to install, it keeps booting from the disk even after the first stage of setup.
2. If I can't get the dual booting to work and windows xp to install correctly, is there anyway I can boot with Vista again?

I don't know, i'm not sure what is going on here :huh:
Would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Note: I don't have the Vista disk since it was already installed when I bought the desktop.

Edited by Lilii2, 31 July 2007 - 02:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:27 AM

What make and model is the Desktop? Did you delete a recovery partition in order to install XP? Did you make the recovery disks that the system should have prompted you to make? If not, then you may have to order a restore disk from the computer manufacturer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:29 AM

FWIW - In order for things to work smoothly, you'll have to install XP first, then install Vista over it. While it is possible to do it the other way, it's a real problem (as you've found out) if everything doesn't go right.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Lilii2

Lilii2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:03 AM

It's a Compaq Presario SR5010NX.
I didn't delete the Recovery partition and have yet to make a disk out of it--which is stupid on my part.
So the only two options I have is now to to get the restore disk or install XP over Vista in the primary partition?

Edit:
I called the technician and they said the recovery disk will restore to the date when I first got the desktop meaning I will lose my files anyway, so I might as well completely install XP over it and download the extra drivers.
Thanks anyhow. =)

Edited by Lilii2, 31 July 2007 - 02:59 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:37 AM

You should be able to recover your files without a whole lot of hassle.

If you haven't deleted the recovery partition, I'd suggest trying the Vista Startup Recovery by pressing F8. Then recover your files from within Vista. Try pressing F8 as soon as the BIOS finishes it's POST display. If you do get into Vista, then you can create the recovery disks from there also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users