Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Neverwinter Nights Diamond Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:45 PM

Ok with Solaris32s help I decided to try NWN. So I found it at a store for $20. installed it to my Fedora HDD using the directions found in their forums. Well I went to run the game and I got the message:

"Video was not initiated"

and then back to the prompt....

So I switched off to my Windows drive (not a big deal but I prefer Fedora) installed without a hitch. Went to play the game and it kept flashing back to the desktop during player setup. So I clicked on the Application and it would come back up. After I got through setup ad played the video the "world" was black with only me and another character and the controls that sit on the edge of the screen.

What is causing this? I didnt install the DX since it was not recommended (said I had a higher version). Video card is a ATi 9200 (if its the issue it wont be for long)

Oh yeah and if you know how to fix the screen switching back to desktop please tell me. its only a recent thing with all my games. It started after I reinstalled Windows (fried the MBR beyond salvation installing Ubuntu a while back). Really annoying.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

Update: got the game to play (should have checked for patches first) but still switching back to desktop every now and then

Posted Image

#3 Dark Lord Valkrest

Dark Lord Valkrest

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:07 PM

Well you could try updating the video card and motherboard to latest driver.
Dunno if this can still apply in newer Windows but look in Win.ini(In [DrawDib]) and look for DVA=0. Put a semicolumn in front of it (;DVA=0) if there is one.
Also a friend of mine had similar problems, she has a Radion 9000 it sits in her agp 4X slot. I went to her radion options and changed the agp setting from 4x to 0x (off), she hasn't had a problem since then.
You could also see if you can enter into a setup for the game and make video adjustments there - sometimes the option for this is right beside or underneath the game button in the start -> programs ->.
Maybe your video card is going bad. Test it in another well running computer.
And lastly and very unlikley your power supply could be struggling. That's all I got for you

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:37 PM

How ironic. Just bought a new video card today (7300GS) since I was having so many "other issues" with it on Fedora 7. I also downgraded to Fedora 6 since my sound card was giving me major issues. So I'm gonna try again later today after FC6 updates finish.

Posted Image

#5 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

Sorry to have caused you trouble :thumbsup:. It really is a decent game, hope you can get it to work. Certainly worth your money so don't get frustrated and sell it.

Upon recollection, I had that precise same problem you have, of the screen being black and you can only see one other character! I believe to solve it, you press space to unpause the game. If not, it's not a glitch with your comp. There's some way to fix it, just keep messing with in game features, but I'm pretty sure you have to unpause it. If that doesn't work for you, tell me and I'll create a new character and see if I get the problem again, and if so, solve it again. Good luck.

Edited by solaris32, 07 August 2007 - 06:58 PM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:11 PM

Got it running in FC6 now i just have to fix my other issues (power supply,Xorg config) but its up and running. Enjoing it!! Immensely Thanx Solaris32!!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users