Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Procedure Call service terminated

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Neurosleek

Neurosleek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:03 PM

Hello,

Can someone help me:

I was using Microsoft Anti-spyware to remove any malicious content and after it scanned, I let it remove them. Afterwords, I restarted the laptop and that's when trouble started to arise. When logging into Windows XP Home Edition, it took an awful long time, and after getting to the desktop I would receive this error message:

System Shutdown

This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress
and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown
was initiated by NT AUTHORITYSYSTEM

Time before shutdown:

Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call
(RPC) service terminated unexpectedly

I don't know what to do, I do know that I can use the run command and type in "shutdown -a" to temporarily stop the message from restarting my laptop. Now, there isn't any sound, (because I think it says no audio device) and the wireless connection doesn't work. I did an AVG virus scan and got back results of .jar files infected and I removed them afterwords. I used WebRoot Spysweeper to remove any other spyware content and removed them. But I still have the same problem with that error message. It seems that W32 Blaster worm isn't present either. What can be done?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:24 AM

Do you have a firewall enabled? Do you have XP SP 2 installed? If so enable its firewall and download all the critical updates for your computer at http://www.windowsupdate.com

It may be a remote computer trying to hack yours and crashing the RPC

#3 Neurosleek

Neurosleek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:47 PM

I don't know if the firewall was on because the internet connection properties aren't even there anymore. It seems like they disappeared or something. Also I'm not sure what updates have been installed already. What should I do?

Thanks!

(Btw, when I post I'm on another computer and not the laptop that has the problem.)

Edited by Neurosleek, 30 January 2005 - 02:49 PM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:25 PM

Can you go into the control panel, double-click on network connections. Right click on the local area connection, click on the advanced tab and then see if the firewall is on or not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users