Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Troubles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Techman5003

Techman5003

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:10 PM

I recently was infected with a virus/spyware called virusprotectpro. It tries to convince me that I must download from their site (virusprotectpro.com) because I have been infected with trojans, etc. I downloaded and installed spyhunter (after doing some research) and it cleaned about 180 instances of infection. The problem is that I still have a flashing icon in the tray and it keeps warning me about an infection. I have scanned several times and I am told the system is clean. I believe the main virus is gone but this is a "crumb" that is left behind to entice me to get infected again.

I found your page for the automated and manual fix but it said to not use this without a malware professional's advice. Can you help?
Techman

(Moderator edit: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 30 July 2007 - 07:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:42 PM

Have you followed the instructions to the BC Self-help Removal Guide found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98219/how-to-remove-virusprotect-or-virus-protect-removal-instructions/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

To get rid of the final remnants of the VPP ripoffware, try Rogue Remover Free. Just make sure to check for updates, and let it remove anything that it finds. post your results please.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Techman5003

Techman5003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:44 PM

I found the Removal guide and it looks like it worked. Only time will tell. I have had the tray icon disappear before only to come back after a subsequent reboot. I am optimistic that it is finally clean. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users