Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

I just got an alarm icon in my taskbar that Windows virtual memory is too low.
Yikes! What ever is this all about+how do I resolve the issue?
My system doesn't appear to be running slow nor does it freeze up.
I tried to Google low virtual memory, but am mystified to say the least. :thumbsup:
When it comes to files+deleting them, it makes me nervous. I'm a bit of a rookie here, so I need some plain English,easy to understand step by step procedures.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:47 PM

Virtual memory is space on the hard drive to make believe that you have more ram than you actually do. The low virtual memory message may indicate that you do not have enough actual ram.

My personal recommended minimums for ram: Windows XP 512 Meg, Windows Vista, 2 gig, Windows 2000 512Meg, WinME & 98 128 Meg.

Check this Tutorial, It has a good explanation on virtual memory.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:16 PM

XP does an excellent job of managing Virtual Memory all by itself. Its default is that the maximum virtual memory is set to 1.5 times that of physical RAM. There are very few instances where VM needs to be adjusted by hand.

Are you running any programs that might be sucking up VM unduely, perhaps due to poor programming ? Are you running Photoshop using 287 layers (a large number) at once ?

#4 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:36 PM

How much RAM do you have?

Check how full your hard drive is. Go to My Computer and right-click the drive with Windows (usually the C drive) and go to Properties. Tell us what you see there.

#5 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:37 PM

I hope I did this right. I clicked on the hard disk C Drive.
D Drive is supposedly for recovery?
Used space=14.2 GB
Free space=17.4 GB
Capacity=31.7 GB
The file system is NTFE if that helps.

My system is running slowly since I posted+ does freeze up. I leave it on all the time. I don't know if the heat is affecting it or not, but we do have central air running constantly.

I do not have any special programs such as Paint as referenced. I'm even having a rough time in getting this post typed.

As for the RAM figure you wanted, I don't know where to find that. I did look into my system information report + copied out over 26 pages of info before I called it quits. I didn't understand what all was being printed, but I did save it.

I have something called total physical memory. That figure is 1,024.00 MB
Available physical memory is 550.20 MB

I've done all my virus+spyware scans on Sunday with nothing major to take care of.

Is it possible that the rather large files from my email folders are causing this? I don't know how to save them to a cd anyway, but that's another problem I need to work on.

I'm just concerned over the warning + the way my system is handling.

Thank you for your help. I'll be eagerly awaiting replies.
honu1

#6 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:44 PM

I suggest that you check to see how Virtual Memory is being managed on your system.

Open the Control Panel entry for System, and then select the Advanced tab. This is divided into three parts. The top section is what we're interested in. Please click the Settings button for that top section.

Once again choose the Advanced tab. Here please notice a button at the lower right marked "Change." Click that to finally get to where we need to be.

Here please notice three "radio buttons." (Small circles) Click the circle in front of "System managed size," and then push the button that says Set.

Windows will announce the need for reboot, and afterwards will be free to increase the Virtual Memory as necessary whenever it needs to.

If you should continue to get the warning about low Virtual memory, other steps will be required, but this usually does the job.

And of course, physical memory is RAM, so you have a gig. Should be enough.
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#7 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for your help. I did as 1101doc suggested + hope this takes care of the problem.

Is it possible that by my leaving my system on 24/7 it causes a memory leak? I read somewhere that if I leave my system on all the time all the applications I have open will use more memory the longer i keep them open.
Does Windows really become more unresponsive the longer I keep it running?

Does going into Windows Task Manager to view the VM size of all my applications have any bearing?

I would more than likely have to Google a lot of terms to see what they are + do I really need them. Another computer in the know person once told me that many files/programs are linked so I should never delete or disable things I don't know about.

Feedback on Task Manager,please?
Thank you
honu1

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

A clean windows system does not normally leak memory, I have one windows system that I run 24 7 x365 its has been running 48 days since last restart, memory in use is 829672 out of 2096080 this machine runs 3 distributed computing projects.

Yes I do run automatic updates!,

anyhow, constantly increasing ram use when nothing is being done, leads me to believe that you may have some malware aboard your computer.

post the question in the Am I Infected What do I do forum, as a lot of the members here help in forums that they are better at.

Task manager can be used for many things, including a listing of all non hidden applications and services running on your machine. I think the most important are is the lower half of the performance tab, which shows your actual memory use.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:34 PM

"Memory leak" is a bit misnamed. It's not a leak at all. It means that some programs use memory, then when they're supposed to release it back to the system they don't, and eventually, all the free memory can be used up and the machine will crash. XP is far more stable than earlier operating systems like Windows 98, which often needed to be restarted every day to keep it running, or sometimes even several times a day if there are memory problems with a specific program, often a TSR (terminate and stay resident) program. You can check on how much memory is available in the Task Manager, under the Performance tab. Keep in mind that "memory" usually refers to the RAM memory, while "virtual memory" refers to space on the hard drive. It's always possible for a program to be poor at releasing memory, and also one could be broken. It can be hard to track down something like that. But I don't think that's your problem.

I'm hoping that 1101doc's advice was what you needed.

#10 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

Well, I really don't know what to think. After leaving my system sit idle with just the screen saver on, I have a heck of a time trying to get my system to respond again. Even the screen saver seems to move very choppy or not at all. After rebooting it seems to be okay until the next idle time.

I had just run all my my adware,malware,+vvirus scans this past Sunday. There were just a couple of minor tracking cookies that I deleted. Normally I quarantine items for a week or so to make sure my system is running okay, but this time I didn't. Also, I never went into safe mode to do any of the scans. How important is it to be in safe mode? As I had been keeping my system on 24/7 I never gave it a second thought 'til after the scans.

Guess I'll somehow try to direct this to others attention in the "am I infected" part as suggested.

Thanks for all your help. I'm going to fix this thing yet!!!! :thumbsup:

#11 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:45 PM

[quote name='1101doc' date='Jul 31 2007, 10:44 PM' post='582877']
I suggest that you check to see how Virtual Memory is being managed on your system.

Open the Control Panel entry for System, and then select the Advanced tab. This is divided into three parts. The top section is what we're interested in. Please click the Settings button for that top section.

Once again choose the Advanced tab. Here please notice a button at the lower right marked "Change." Click that to finally get to where we need to be.

Here please notice three "radio buttons." (Small circles) Click the circle in front of "System managed size," and then push the button that says Set.

Hey,
This looks like something that can be useful to me now since I am getting the virtual Memory is low, and it isn't getting any better, I have a Ram stick 256 MB, and I'm talking withthe manufacture who needed specific information, i.e.;We could not find the system specifications for your computer on Compaq.com. Specifically the type of memory it uses.

We can only recommend you contact Compaq and find out what exactly is the memory type you system uses.
PNY Technical Support

1. Preinstalled Memory: 128MB 133 MHz SyncDRAM.
2. Maximum upgradable to: 512MB.
3. Type of Memory: PC100 SyncDRAM DIMM required.
4. Total number of slots: Two total DIMM Slots.

So, while I am waiting I came across your post, and I have a question, since I don't know how much time it's going to take to get info and learn installation, etc.

My question is waht you are describing and what I am looking at seem to be two different things ?

Posted Image

Would you mind "Q",ing me in ? I'm not sure my setting configurations are what you are descibing ?

Will appreciate your advice.

Jove

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#12 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:40 PM

Not sure what you're asking me here. I'm not computer literate at all,sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users