Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Getting Monitor To Work With Dvi

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 t_o_d

t_o_d

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

I have a Dell 1800fp monitor and a Sparkle GeForce 7300 GT video card. The monitor has dvi-d and vga, and the card dvi-i as well as vga and video-s. When they are connected with the vga it works ok. When connected with dvi the intel logo comes up for a second and then it goes black and the light turns from green to amber. I can hear the os come up but the display never comes on again. Sparkle has no support other than driver downloads, which I have done, and Dell support thinks dvi-d and dvi-i don't work together-gives lots of confidence.
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

I believe Dell support is right on this
Pinouts
http://www.ramelectronics.net/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:19 PM

As Far as I know they "should" work the difference between DVI-I and DVI-D is the addition of the 4 analog pins surrounding the blade (DVI-I) and The Long flat pin on a DVI-I cable is longer then that on the DVI-D cable and will not plug into a DVI-D female port correctly. However a DVI-D male cable will properly fit into a DVI-I female port. Make sure your using the correct cable It should be a DVI-D dual link cable. Also Dual link means there is a second data link to allow for higher resolutions.

From links provided:
Customers who purchase these cards will not be able to use them with the majority of modern LCD panels without purchasing
a DVI-D cable to connect the card and the monitor. Most LCD's only come with the DVI-I cable, and the two are not interchangeable.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 30 July 2007 - 03:23 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 t_o_d

t_o_d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

The monitor has a dvi-d dual link female connector and the video card has a dvi-i dual link female connector. The cable that came with the monitor is dvi-d single link male at both ends. Perhaps I need a dvi-d dual link cable.?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

The monitor has a dvi-d dual link female connector and the video card has a dvi-i dual link female connector. The cable that came with the monitor is dvi-d single link male at both ends. Perhaps I need a dvi-d dual link cable.?

I believe that is what Sneakycyber said Example
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 t_o_d

t_o_d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 09:04 PM

Thanks, I'll get one and see if it helps.

#7 t_o_d

t_o_d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:50 PM

I got the new cable dvi-i to dvi-i and it still doesn't work. any other ideas?

#8 t_o_d

t_o_d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

I'm sorry that is dvi-d dual to dvi-d dual and it still doesn't work.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

Can you possibly try the monitor on another setup with DVI? Or try a different DVI monitor on the video card. Unless something is wrong with either one, I beleive were missing something. According to my research it "should" work.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 t_o_d

t_o_d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:43 PM

I finally started fooling around with the monitor and found that there is a button that makes it come on with the dvi connected. When it goes to sleep I have to push the button again but at least it works.
Thanks for your help.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:24 PM

Awesome I'm glad you got it working :thumbsup: , by chance could you tell me where the button is located and what its called. This is for future reference in case someone has a similar problem and cable changes don't work.

Edit: surprised Dell didn't catch that one

Edited by Sneakycyber, 10 August 2007 - 03:24 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#12 t_o_d

t_o_d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:53 PM

I probably spoke too soon. This kind of works sometimes. It is the button on the far left below the screen called Input Select. Sometimes it brings the picture up and sometimes not. It seems to know that the DVI port is in use but it doesn't always come on. If it doesn't come on it says DVI Power Saving Mode. Sometimes I can get it to come on and other times I have to do a cold boot which I don't like to do.
I'm beginning to wonder if it is the video card. The card is from Sparkle www.sparlke.com.tw but I have not been able to figure out how to get support from them. I have gone back to the VGA connection until I get this worked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users