Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista ---> Xp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 StEvE21

StEvE21

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

Hello
I just bought a Toshiba Satellite A200-AH7. Like most new computers today, it came with Windows Vista. I read on another forum that a lot of people decide to change back to XP. How would I do this? And what are these "drivers" than I would have to download?
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:23 PM

Do you have an XP installation disk and licence?

If so, you could dual-boot: http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

I don't think you have to roll back any drivers. Exactly why do you want to downgrade? Is it software compatibility issues or just because you're unfamiliar with VISTA? Everything new has a learning cure
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

I can understand your not-so-good reaction to Vista. There are enough serious problems with it that most IT people will not allow it to be installed on any of their companies computers.

To install XP you will need 2 things: an XP OEM install disc (and it's registration code) and the XP drivers for your particular PC. Many PCs have XP drivers available from the manufacturers for machines that now come only with Vista.

#5 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 05:31 PM

alright guys. Thanks for the replies until now, but i'm gonna need some more help. I have a HUGE problem.

Basically, i decided to give vista a shot. Today, the built-in microsoft games (ex. chess) stopped working. I decided to uninstall and re-install them by going to control panel --> program features --> "Turn windows features off or on."

Long story short, anything in my Control Panel with a security/update shield beside it led to a black blank screen, with only the cursor on it. the laptop wasn't making any noise, so it wasn't trying to load anything. The only way out was to hit 'escape.'

i guess i went to this screen one too many times, because the last time i tried it, even the escape button did nothing. ctrl alt delete did nothing. There was nothing to do but turn the laptop off, so i did. And now...it wont turn back on. The power light turns on, and i hear normal noise coming from the system, but the screen doesnt turn on AT ALL. :thumbsup:

EDIT: The power light is on, and the light that indicates it hard-drive is being accessed stays on for a bit, then turns off, and the battery indicator is also off completely (its fully charged though). I also noticed a very low noise, but im not sure if it was there before.

EDIT: I plugged my desktop's monitor into the laptop. Nothing comes up on the screen, so the problem isn't the screen.

Edited by StEvE21, 02 August 2007 - 06:35 PM.

#6 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:07 PM

According to another site I was reading, If there is no BIOS splash screen on the laptop or even on an external display, but there is noise from the fan and hard drive and the hard drive LED is blinking, the problem is a "board level failure." I'm guessing this is the motherboard? If so, I guess theres no chance that I could repair this myself.
Is there any way of knowing what caused this problem?

http://www.daileyint.com/hmdpc/lcd.htm

Edited by StEvE21, 02 August 2007 - 08:14 PM.

#7 Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:02 AM

Is the laptop still under warranty?

#8 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

Sure sounds like a hardware failure. There's no way anything you ran helped make this happen. Since you "just bought" this laptop it will still be under warranty. If it's within 30 days of purchase you may be able to return it to the retailler you got it from. This depends on the store's policies, but a 30-day replacement policy is common. Better have your purchase receipt.

If it's outside the retailler's return period then go to the manufacturer's web site and search for warranty repair instructions. Follow them carefully and completely ! It is typical that you will have to pay for return shipping though the manufacturer will probably pay to send it back to you again.

#9 StEvE21

StEvE21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

I got it from future shop, and not only is it within the first 30 days still, but i also purchased the extended warranty.

I unplugged the AC adapter and removed the battery, waited 15 minutes, put the batter back in and plugged in the adapter, and it booted up.
|It asked if I wanted to start up in safe mode, etc, so i started it normally, and it seemed to be working fine. That was until I went on msn. The noise that it makes when someone messages me sounded distorted, so I tried playing a song in windows media player, and it didnt work properly. It was going really slow. I don't think it is the speakers, because I was looking at the the time left in the song, and it was counting down really slow. it took about 2 seconds to play one second of the song. What's going on with this thing??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users