Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Font

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

Does anyone know what to do?

I turned on the computer this morning and all the fonts have gotten small. The person I know used the computer yesterday denies changing anything, and besides has a headache/doesn't want to talk. I can make the writing in a web page bigger with control+, but it doesn't change the bars at the top and bottom. Also small and gray looking (not as gray as not connected) is the font in ssh, making it hard to read emails in pine. I also note that square brackets--[]--in ssh have changed to blackboard-bold style--double vertical lines. I tried control panel-->display-->settings--> advanced (Intel®82810E Graphics Controller Properties) and changing "small fonts" to "large fonts," and then to 135% of normal size (from 96%) and restarting, but it didn't solve the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

When you say "the bars at the top and bottom" do you mean that the picture on the screen doesn't take up the whole area? That sounds like adjustments on the monitor, itself. Has your resolution and refresh rates stayed the same?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

I meant where it says file, edit, view, etc., at the top, and the menus below, and the word start, the clock time, and the stuff in between, etc., all changed to a smaller font, and doesn't get bigger by pressing control+. By the way, I am now using a windows xp machine in a guest office (because someone has locked the screen of the linux machine in here), and the font is similarly very small, but the monitor is high quality, unlike the one I use at home. I find what I am typing much easier to see after hitting control+ three times, but it makes the insert special, fonts menus not fit inside the boxes, and the url is still printed in the original tiny font.

David

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:07 PM

I think your problem, as I understand it, can easily be resolved:

Right click on an empty spot on your desktop.
Go to Properties. Click on the Appearance Tab. See what the Font Size box shows. You can adjust from there.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do find this "appearance" screen. Rather than a global font control, there is a menu of items, some have choice of font. The items are:

3D Objects; Active Title Bar; Active Window Border; Application Background; Caption Buttons; Desktop; Icon; Icon Spacing (Horizontal); Icon Spacing (Vertical); Inactive Title Bar; Inactive Window Border; Menu; Message Box; Palette Title; scrollbar; Selected Items; ToolTip; Window.

I increased all the sizes, but everything on my computer seems to have gotten smaller, not just those items. For instance, the window that appears when I click "show scanning progress" for AVG is markedly smaller, in proportion to the smaller font size within.

As I mentioned, there is also the settings-->advanced button. That brings up the Intel Graphics Controller Properties screen, with a font size selection. The choices are small, large, and other. I changed it from small (96% normal) to other (135% normal). I'm not sure exactly what changed when I did so (I restarted the computer after clicking apply), but evidently not the items I was most concerned about.

#6 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

Maybe the resolution of your display was changed (e.g., increased from "1024 by 768 pixels" to "1152 by 864 pixels"). If that happened, it would have the effect of making everything smaller.

Right-click on your desktop again and select "Properties" (or go to "Control Panel, Display") and then click on the "Settings" tab. Look at the "Screen resolution" slider bar in the lower-left of that display. Note its current setting and then move it to the left to decrease the resolution. You won't be able to fit as much on the display, but everything will be bigger.

I'm using XP Professional, but I think the "Settings" tab and "Screen resolution" slider are available in earlier versions of Windows.

Edited by M..., 01 August 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#7 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

I guess somehow the screen resolution did get changed. It was on 1024 x 768, the finest of three settings. I changed it to 800 x 600, the middle setting. Now some windows are too big to fit, probably because of some of the other increases I made in font sizes. I had such a problem before with the add-new-card screen for the thunderbird address book. just the upper margin of the ok and cancel buttons would appear above the bar containing "start" after sliding the screen as far up as it will go. Now these buttons are way out of range, but I guess changing the fonts back should work.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users