Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

P2p File Sharing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:39 AM

I have heard from a few people that Windows Vista is horrible for file sharing because they can track everything you do and can bust you. Now im not talking about downloading cracked versions of programs. But if I want a song i want to be able to download it without the fear of being punished. So my questions are: Can they track you on Vista? How safe is it to download on Vista. If this topic has already been done just post the link and ill check it out. Thanks for all the future posts. :huh: :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

While using P2P file sharing you tell everyone you connect to your IP address. There is nothing anonymous about P2P, rather the opposite. This is regardless of the OS your using.

So the answer is: They can track you on Vista and any other OS you may use and there is nothing you can do about it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

In all honesty, I think the real problem is with people that copy the music and attempt to resell it. I highly doubt they would go after a low-profile home user downloading a song here and there for their own use.

Could be wrong. :huh:

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:44 PM

They also love to go after college students with their high-speed university connections. If you're paranoid, you can use something like PeerGuardian or download a plug-in in Azureus that will block certain IP's from connecting with you. It's not a final solution, but it is better than nothing.

3939.png

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

They have been randomly suing file-sharers for a few years now.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

The RIAA goes after anybody that they can track, home users included.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

Beyond the malware risks you are taking by downloading from unknown sources there are ways to find you RIAA or not. I don't want to be more catholic than the pope but by using P2P you are putting yourself wide open for anything

#8 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for the posts so far. Are there any downloaders out there that have Vista and can tell me whats safe to do and whats not. (Ex. Torrents, Ares, etc.) :huh:

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

You get what you pay for! None could be classified as 100% safe.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#10 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:06 PM

I know no form of downloading is safe but is one less able to be tracked by windows than another? I just want to be able to listen and download music without being caught. When i had XP i never had a problem ever so i was just wondering if vista is the same way? BTW I wanted XP but there are no drivers for my computer (Inspiron 1720 laptop). And i was forced to get vista so im trying to see if i have the same freedoms?

And i have another question on top of my others. If i have an external hard drive can the people at Windows go into that and track whats in that too? Cause i wanted to get a 250-500 gig external HD to hold all my music and other things.

Edited by Dr. Joe, 30 July 2007 - 03:10 PM.

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

Their ability to track has nothing to do with Windows. It is how the internet is built.

#12 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

question?if i download a tv program( that is shown on friday in the us and on sunday in the uk )on a monday is that illegal?
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#13 katabby

katabby

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

http://www.hidemyass.com/
never used it but worth a look

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:31 PM

I just want to be able to listen and download music without being caught.

With that being said this thread is now closed:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

The quote is taken from: Bleeping Computer Rules

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users