Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Mac Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

In Windows when I download and install a program, it either puts an icon (shortcut) on the desktop, or I can run the program from start, all programs.
But, on the Mac, I downloaded "Little Snitch", "Macscan" free trial, and a few others. The default destinations was applications, on the Mac HD. But when I try to open the program from Applications, and run it, it wants to install the program again. There are icons on the desktop, but they also want to re-install the program. Where are my programs? I don't think I'm doing this right.

I know it's a stupid question, but we all have to start someplace.

Thanks in advance.
Mark.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 macguru

macguru

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:31 PM

Mark,

Hello. I downloaded and installed MacScan to see what you were describing. After going through the install, I looked in my Applications folder and found a new folder named "Macscan 2", inside that was the MacScan Applications. When I double clicked it, the system presented an authorization dialog box similar to the one you get when you install, but it does not mean you are re-installing the program. Since Macscan works at a root user level, it must authenticate the user before it can run.

I believe this is the issue you are also facing with Little Snitch, though I did not try installing that myself. Let me know if this is the case.

Randall

#3 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

Ahhhh, I see. :flowers: Thank you very much. :thumbsup: I can see I still have a lot to learn.

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:37 AM

It sounds like you are running the programs from the download rather than installing them first. After downloading a program double click the .dmg file to open it, a window with an icon of the program should appear. Take that icon and drop it in the Applications folder. After installing it you should delete the downloaded file and eject the disk image. If you want the program on your Dock, which has the shortcut icons, drag and drop the icon from the App folder to the Dock.
The other way of installing a program is when it comes with it's own installer, like Little Snitch. Uninstalling these apps will need to be done with an uninstaller that should be provided with the installer. The drag and drop type of program you can just drag it's icon to Trash and delete it to uninstall.
To Start or Stop Little Snitch you will need to open System Preferences where you will see it's icon in the 'Other' pane.

#5 Nerdnot

Nerdnot

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:40 AM

In Windows when I download and install a program, it either puts an icon (shortcut) on the desktop, or I can run the program from start, all programs.
But, on the Mac, I downloaded "Little Snitch", "Macscan" free trial, and a few others. The default destinations was applications, on the Mac HD. But when I try to open the program from Applications, and run it, it wants to install the program again. There are icons on the desktop, but they also want to re-install the program. Where are my programs? I don't think I'm doing this right.

I know it's a stupid question, but we all have to start someplace.

Thanks in advance.
Mark.

I switched the Mac mouse for a Logitech with a right click so I am going from memory. After you load the program you want you will get a little icon in the dock. Move your arrow to the icon you want to keep in the dock. Click on AND HOLD and you will have several choices in the little window. One choice you are given is KEEP IN DOCK and some other choices. If the icon stays in your dock and works when you sign out you did it! Clicking and holding will also give you the choice to REMOVE FROM DOCK too!

I switched to a PC style mouse with "right click" because for me it is easier to use than the Apple mouse. Also, on the Mac you probably know that you can magnify, enlarge, reduce or move the position of the dock. I use it on the right side and keep the bottom free for extra lines on long document. Works for me anyway!

#6 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:01 PM

ok, i got. That's what i wanted to do is move them to the dock. (Little Snitch doesn't want to move, but I can live with it where it is.)
So now I can delete the folders from the desktop.

I use a Logitech optical mouse with the middle mouse wheel. It's an absolute must when working in Blender on the Mac. (Or PC) :thumbsup:

Edited by 12x48y, 05 August 2007 - 03:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users