Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Pci Adapter - Vista Ultimate

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alexcraw

alexcraw

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:04 AM

Which card should I be looking to buy when building a new PC? I am currently using the BT Home Hub as my Router to the laptop but I heard that there are very few reliable PCI adapters for a desktop. I'm willing to go up to 30 on this component.

On another topic but still with Vista - I built a PC with Home Basic and although I get Media Player to play away (it looks like the music is playing on screen because the timer and graphics are as normal, no messege comes up either), there is no sound. Speakers are OK as they produce good sound on the XP laptop.

Any help with both topics would be great

Cheers

Alex

Edited by alexcraw, 30 July 2007 - 09:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

Many Netgear products don't work well with Vista, especially the 64-bit version. I replaced mine and got a D-Link WDA-2320 card. Just put the card in and Vista installs the necessary drivers. Don't install the software on the disc that comes with the adapter except as a last resort. As for your other question, what soundcard are you using? Also, if you have on-board sound and are using a PCI soundcard you will need to tell Windows which one to use.

3939.png

#3 alexcraw

alexcraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:20 PM

The sound is onboard and there is no seperate card. But for your information the board is an Asus VIAK8T890. I take it there will be a generic driver that'll do the job. I have installed the driver from the disc but I am getting the same problem.

I ordered a D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510. The D-Link said it's compatible. I'll try the driver with Vista as you said before installing any D-Link software.

Thanks
Alex

Edited by alexcraw, 30 July 2007 - 03:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users